AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was curious as many have discussed that Intel may have issues with ALL interlaced content. Since this hasn't been my, or my customers', experience I wanted to see how the Intel iGPU did with a test sample of 1080i material.

My testing rig (relevant parts):

Intel i3 2100 HD2000 graphics

ASRock Mini-ITX H67 Motherboard

LAV and Shark007 Codecs

XBMC Eden standard build

I first obtained an interlaced test file and ran MediaInfo to verify that I in fact had a 1080i source.

Next I opened the file in Windows Media Center (WMC) and watched the entire clip with both LAV and then Shark007 codecs looking closely for anything that was odd or off --- especially combing which some have reported to be an issue with the Intel iGPU.

The test media was fluid and smooth and without artifact.

Next I opened the file in XBMC (I put it in a "fake" movie folder and then played that "movie" to get it to play)

At first I was happy with the quality and didn't see any issues. But I let the test file play as I did with WMC

However when fast movement was present combing was immediately obvious [***Edit: This is not accurate. See below.]

So with this information I now went back to WMC and looked for any combing in the same part of this file which again was absent.

So my conclusion is that the integrated Intel GPU can handle at least SOME interlaced media just fine. Now I know that there is some interlaced content out there that evidently it doesn't do as well with and I would be interested in trying to identify exactly what interlaced content it can and cannot handle. For how I use a HTPC (1080p, 720p and OTA 1080i) the Intel iGPU has handled everything that I --- and all of my customers thus far --- have thrown at it.

XBMC on the otherhand struggled with the same content. This for me is very disappointing as I am very much looking forward to the DVR build and hope this can get fixed before its ready for release.

Edit: Thanks to anleva I remembered that XBMC had an internal de-interlace setting. When I enabled this the playback was perfect...

So in conclusion the Intel iGPU can absolutely playback at least SOME interlaced content (and all the interlaced content that I own and watch) without any issues in XBMC and WMC. This is contrary to previous erroneous reports I have read here and elsewhere that the Intel iGPU cannot handle ANY interlaced content and should thus be avoided.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
There's reported issues with live TV playing with H.264/MPEG4 and 29/59 fps switching on Comcast in some markets but this codec is planned for all markets and all providers to save bandwidth.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing#post_22139575

There's reported issues with live TV playing with H.264/MPEG4 and 29/59 fps switching on Comcast in some markets but this codec is planned for all markets and all providers to save bandwidth.

When? Where did you read this?

There is a TON of misinformation out there about HTPC in general and it amazes me what is spread as truth. I am not saying you are incorrect I am just saying that I will believe it when I actually see or read it with my own eyes.

Also, will this possible "reported" change be an issue with just WMC or with certain GPUs (or both)?

·
Registered
197 Posts
What is your deinterlacing setting in XBMC? I looked at mine while playing a 1080i video and noticed it was on off, which I assume means my TV will is doing the deinterlacing rather than XBMC? Should it be set to auto? I'll have to play around with it and see if I see any combing with my i3-2100.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva  /t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing#post_22139658

What is your deinterlacing setting in XBMC? I looked at mine while playing a 1080i video and noticed it was on off, which I assume means my TV will is doing the deinterlacing rather than XBMC? Should it be set to auto? I'll have to play around with it and see if I see any combing with my i3-2100.

Good question. Let me look and try it again.

Edit: Good catch. It was set to off. Let me try again with some other settings.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I had a Charter tech at my house today and he confirmed that Charter will be making the change in the next 12 months.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing#post_22139682

I had a Charter tech at my house today and he confirmed that Charter will be making the change in the next 12 months.

I am not trying to be obtuse here but you stated "all markets and all providers" and I just want to clarify where you received this information. While it may affect some people it likely will not affect "all" and may, in fact, affect only a vast minority.

And does anyone know if this is a WMC problem or a hardware problem? I watched the above video but this may be a driver issue and not necessarily a hardware issue.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks anleva. I also had the de-interlace option set to "off" in XBMC and when I changed this to "Auto" and "Auto Select" the picture was perfect. So in conclusion with this particular 1080i file the Intel iGPU played back the file in WMC and XBMC with 100% perfection according to my eyes and screenshots. Its definitely capable of at least SOME interlaced content contrary to previous erroneous reports.

I will update the first post.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Glad that helped! I'm curious though, If deinterlacing is set to off would that mean that no deinterlacing is being done by the HTPC/XBMC and all deinterlacing would be done by the display itself?

·
Registered
744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin  /t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing/0_100#post_22139521

So I was curious as many have discussed that Intel may have issues with ALL interlaced content. Since this hasn't been my, or my customers', experience I wanted to see how the Intel iGPU did with a test sample of 1080i material.

My testing rig (relevant parts):

Intel i3 2100 HD2000 graphics

ASRock Mini-ITX H67 Motherboard

LAV and Shark007 Codecs

XBMC Eden standard build

What display and rate were you watching? 1080p60 ?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin  /t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing#post_22139685

I am not trying to be obtuse here but you stated "all markets and all providers" and I just want to clarify where you received this information. While it may affect some people it likely will not affect "all" and may, in fact, affect only a vast minority.

And does anyone know if this is a WMC problem or a hardware problem? I watched the above video but this may be a driver issue and not necessarily a hardware issue.

Most posts I've read seeem to point to a driver problem. Hoping intel issues a new driver otherwise a GT430 is a $30 solution so I'm not too concerned. That said if you have a laptop or netbook it is a different problem you arefacing.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Can your display accept 1080i60? I'm curious how the deinterlacer in your display compares.

I guess people who are highly concerned about deinterlacing must have displays without deinterlacers, or with poor built-in deinterlacers.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100  /t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing#post_22139865

Can your display accept 1080i60? I'm curious how the deinterlacer in your display compares.

I guess people who are highly concerned about deinterlacing must have displays without deinterlacers, or with poor built-in deinterlacers.

If I get some more free time (which is at a premium) I will try to test.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva  /t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing#post_22139763

I'm curious though, If deinterlacing is set to off would that mean that no deinterlacing is being done by the HTPC/XBMC and all deinterlacing would be done by the display itself?
No, unless you select the "59i Hz" or "60i Hz" refresh rate ("29 Hz" or "30 Hz" in the case of AMD/NVIDIA). Deinterlacing is always done by the PC (hardware or software) so that the progressives signals are sent to the display at "59p Hz" or "60p Hz" ("59 Hz" or "60 Hz" in the case of AMD/NVIDIA).

Summary of Intel iGPU + XBMC (DXVA2 ON)

At 59p/60p Hz (59/60 Hz) refresh rate:

DI Video \ DI MethodAutoDXVA BestDXVA Bob
AutoBobfreezeBob
OnBobfreezeBob
OffWeave

Compare with AMD GPU:

AutoBobVector AdaptiveBob
OnBobVector AdaptiveBob
OffWeave

Intel iGPU + XBMC is a poor choice for interlaced contents (H.264, MPEG-2). XBMC does not support interlaced VC-1.

At 59i/60i Hz (29/30 Hz) refresh rate:

AutoDisplay deinterlacer
OnPC deinterlacer + Display deinterlacer (avoid it!)
OffDisplay deinterlacer

I used Cheese Slices .

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin  /t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing#post_22139685

I watched the above video but this may be a driver issue and not necessarily a hardware issue.

That is a good question. Although it is having problems with this format, it may be a driver issue and can be fixed. I think it is important to determine if it is hardware or driver. Has anyone sent in a trouble call with Intel to try and shed some light on this?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100  /t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing#post_22139865

Not necessarily. Do you want to switch back and forth between 59Hz, 29Hz and 23Hz (and even 480 29Hz) depending on the content? Setting the refresh rate to 59Hz and switching to 23Hz for movies is a lot easier. Ultimately PC is a progressive scan player to be connected with a progressive scan display.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts