AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me how much heat Intel's Sandy Bridge integrated graphics produce? I'm building a new HTPC using a I3 or I5 processor to replace my P4 AGP system but am reusing my old HTPC case. My case is a Silverstone LC-10M which has poor cooling.

To keep things cool and quiet with my old P4 AGP setup I ended up buying a HIS 2600 XT ICEQ wgich is a dual slot graphics card which exhausts the heat produced by the graphics chip directly outside the case. I was hoping not to do this with the new build. But if the Intel graphics runs too hot I may have to. And yes my heart is set on a Intel system not on AMD.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
IGP is integrated in the processor, so you don't have to worry about its heat as the CPU (its TDP is 65W or 95W) cooler handles it. BTW the total power consumption of a Core i3-2100 system (with IGP) measured with Kill-A-Watt:

Idle: 39W

BD playback: 44W

Prime95: 74W

Prime95+FurMark: 88W

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. The power consumption figures are very helpful. I'm going to use my HTPC to watch Blu-rays, HD-DVDs and later on view hi-def TV shows, both broadcast and cable. Is the I3 and its HD2000 IGP powerful enough or should I go for the I5 and its HD3000 IGP?

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highzone /forum/post/20833820

Thank you for the information. The power consumption figures are very helpful. I'm going to use my HTPC to watch Blu-rays, HD-DVDs and later on view hi-def TV shows, both broadcast and cable. Is the I3 and its HD2000 IGP powerful enough or should I go for the I5 and its HD3000 IGP?

i3 2100 HD2000 is plenty. For your uses there is no real gain with the i5 HD3000 unless you are planning on some light gaming.

My temps on multiple typical machines range from 36-46C at idle and only a few degrees more during 1080p playback. Usual wattage is in the 35-38 watt range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.