AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I recently completed my first HTPC build and am very satisfied with the exception of the following. I am using my i3-2105 processor's iGPU connected to a Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK display via a HDMI terminal board and cable. The display is 1366x768 pixels and after configuring the GPU driver resolution to 1366x768, I experienced significant overscan beginning at bootup through to Windows. I understand that the normal procedure is to set the display's aspect ratio for a 1:1 mapping and the use the "Custom" resolution adjustment feature in the Intel Media Graphic program to scale the vertical and horizontal resolution to best match the window to the screen. I am unable to access the "Custom" feature to make these adjustments.

The display only allows for a "full' aspect ratio which, I believe, is not a true 1:1 mapping as the display's manual defines Full as "Full will display the picture at its maximum size but with slight elongation". I have searched this subject on this forum and found the following post with a similar issue with a different display http://www.avsforum.com/t/1379933/intel-hd3000-overscan-problems

My workaround to this problem is to use the display's horizontal and vertical size adjustments to get the window matched to the display's screen. This works well and I can live with it, however I wanted to know:

1. Is there any way to access a 1:1 mapping on this display using the HDMI terminal board?

2. Would it be better to use the display's RGB input in lieu of the HDMI input?

3. If so, is the RGB (1366X768) picture quality as good or better than HDMI (720p)? (note: I don't use HDMI audio- using S/PDIF optical)

Than you for any help in understanding this issue and, possibly, any corrections.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd check the settings for that particular HDMI input to your television. Do you have any way to indicate that the video source is a PC rather than a Video component? If so, change the input type to PC and you should be able to output the full resolution from your HTPC without experiencing the overscan you describe. All of this assumes that your TV will accept a 1366x768 input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK is an industrial flat panel plasma that accepts various signal types and resolutions. While RGB, component, and composite are standard, other types such as HDMI requires the installation of a HDMI terminal boards into one of the three input slots.

The HDMI terminal board I am using does not have any hard or soft switches that allows changing. Changing the input label (input 1 - HDMI module) does not change the aspect ratio options (only "Full").

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I suggest that you set the output to your TV's native resolution and on the TV use the "full" option and then use the size settings as you have done to make any adjustments to achieve 1:1 mapping. without the edge of any borders apparing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies. As walford suggested, I will continue to use that setup. It looks fine, however, the BIOS bootup screens are cropped due to the overscan. Once the OS takes over, it looks good. I just thought someone might have a better solution.

Back to the million dollar question: Does RGB 1366x768 look as good as HDMI 720p? Just curious.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
When downscaled from 1080i I believe that the about 10% increase in pixel count will make the 1366x768 display look better. The 720p display will look better when fed 720p content video content. 1366x768 is better when 1:1 pixel mapping is used with PC application content.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts