AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I can't get the black level set on my Intel i5 integrated graphics to stick to Full. It keeps reverting back to Limited under the Quantization setting.


I've tried two different versions of the driver. Is this thing broken or is it just my system (Onkyo TX-805 and Panny Plasma)?


I've got an Nvidia 430 that I could dust off, but I'd rather just use what is built in if I can get it to work. I'm just seeing crushed blacks and realized that it keeps reverting back to Limited. My Nvidia card never did that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Ah, I don't think so! I've got the exact same issue that has driven me to buy an NVIDIA card to get around it.


I was using the Intel HD Graphics HDMI output to connect to a Samsung C8700 LCD tv. Worked fine, except for the problematic playback of '24Hz' blueray stuff (which is hardware related, can't be dealt with) and the issue you describe. The quantization level setting in the dialog does not stick. Each time I change resolution setting, display frequency, reboot or do a suspend-to-ram/resume cycle, the setting reverts back to 'limited'.


When it is set at 'limited', my tv set shows significant 'banding' in gradients, especially in darker areas. It isn't pretty! When I switch it to 'full' the banding is greatly reduced.


I've tried this also under a user account that has windows administrator rights, as I thought this might have something to do with access rights, but the dialog setting would not stick then either.


I would very much like this issue to be fixed, as I would rather again just use the built in graphics: my HTPC is now using almost twice the amount of electric power, with the associated added heat, fan noise...


I've reported this on an Intel forum, but so far no official word from Intel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj
So my system is the only one that will not save the black level setting of Full?
I think not.


I suspect I have the same issue with my i3 2100.


Stupid question but were do I find the "Quantization setting"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFryia
I think not.


I suspect I have the same issue with my i3 2100.


Stupid question but were do I find the "Quantization setting"?
Graphics Properties / Advanced Mode then Display / Monitor/TV Settings.


There is a Quantization Range setting for Limited and Full.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/0


For some reason I can't get the black level set on my Intel i5 integrated graphics to stick to Full. It keeps reverting back to Limited under the Quantization setting.


I've tried two different versions of the driver. Is this thing broken or is it just my system (Onkyo TX-805 and Panny Plasma)?


I've got an Nvidia 430 that I could dust off, but I'd rather just use what is built in if I can get it to work. I'm just seeing crushed blacks and realized that it keeps reverting back to Limited. My Nvidia card never did that.

You are not alone. I finally gave up and put my ATI card in the machine to get correct color space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I could put my Nvidia 430 in until they sort out their driver issue.


My new HTPC was build around having minimal hardware and being quiet with all the storage and other tasks offloaded to my new server. The server is the guts out of my old HTPC and the Nvidia card was left behind since I didn't think it was needed, until now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20792572


Graphics Properties / Advanced Mode then Display / Monitor/TV Settings.


There is a Quantization Range setting for Limited and Full.

The "Quantization" setting does not show up on my i3 HD2000 Intel control panel, nor does the "IT" control.




All I see is "Monitor/TV settings not supported". The control panels does identify my SONY IFB DVI input card on my projector on other screens.


To see the BTB data I had to override application settings and bump Brightness from default 0 to ~12. My fear is this work around is compromising the video quality. Never had this issue with my ATI DVI card.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,764 Posts
I have the same issue with an I3-2100. It won't stick at Full.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
same here

i5-2500k, it won't stick at full
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
I have an Intel i3-530 and have been using an older version of the graphics driver because black levels seemed to vary with the newer versions. I recently upgraded and everything was fine until I reboot my system...it seemed a bit dark. All my settings were still the same and that's when I saw this thread.


The quantization setting must be new since I never saw it in my older driver version. In the past versions I would have problems with my xvYCC setting becoming unselected whenever I switched inputs on my receiver. Now it sticks with the latest driver but this quantization setting won't stick. I guess I will complain to tech support and see how far that will go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
I have been experiencing the same issue with my i3 2100 build . It is frustrating.

I am using a small Rosewell case with a 150 watt power supply. Are there any low wattage video cards that would work well?

I may have to reinstall in a bigger case and larger power supply. Does anyone have suggestions for a budget high quality video card for 1080p playback?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow /forum/post/20887204


I have been experiencing the same issue with my i3 2100 build . It is frustrating.

I am using a small Rosewell case with a 150 watt power supply. Are there any low wattage video cards that would work well?

I may have to reinstall in a bigger case and larger power supply. Does anyone have suggestions for a budget high quality video card for 1080p playback?

Thanks!

The fanless 5450 cards use about 20 watts at peak and 3 watts at idle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Assassin, Thank you for the quick response. I am using the Rosewill RC-CIX-01, Have you used a 5450 in any of your builds? How does the 1080P video quality compare to the Intel? Are there other higher quality cards for comparison out there that would fit the case regarding size and power draw.

I really appreciate your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow /forum/post/20887312


Assassin, Thank you for the quick response. I am using the Rosewill RC-CIX-01, Have you used a 5450 in any of your builds? How does the 1080P video quality compare to the Intel? Are there other higher quality cards for comparison out there that would fit the case regarding size and power draw.

I really appreciate your help.

Alan - Personally I like the Intel better mainly because the ATI driver were absolutely abysmal with my particular setup. NVidia was a little better but nowhere near as stable as the Intel drivers. Other have no issues at all with ATI or NVidia. So ymmv.


Picture quality honestly was about the same on all 3 subjectively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Assasin, Maybe I'll sit tight and see if they come out with a driver update. I'll just change the setting in the Intel HD Panel setup each time turning the computer on. It will hold for a movie but reset itself each time I turn the computer back on. It has been a great HTPC.

Thank you for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Same issue with my Intel I5 processor graphics. Nothing happens after setting "Quantization" to "Full". After reboot it reverts to "Limited". Black level depth considerably reduced.


New driver version 15.22.50.64.2509 released 7 September still not fixes this bug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Driver version 15.22.50.64.2509 did not fix it for me. It will sometimes stay set for an entire power state. However, any resolution change (Desktop vs 7MC) will cause it to revert to limited (yes, I had set the two differently in an attempt to fix another issue).
 
1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top