AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
Intel has stopped work on its liquid crystal on silicon semiconductor, stating that the cost of research and development necessary to produce the product wouldn't be worth the potential revenue.

"It is a return-on-investment issue," said spokeswoman Shannon Love.
Unfortunate.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Hardly surprising. A number of us have been saying all along that we wouldn't see anything from Intel, ever. The only downside is that had they come through, it would have allowed more competition & theoretically lower prices.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
So, let me understand this. Intel jumps in, says they can get great product under $2000. Now they are ditching it for 'higher returns'? So Intel gave it a whole 8 months? HAHAHA

·
Registered
24 Posts
if anyone cares...

from Intel's intranet:

Intel is canceling plans for Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCOS) for rear projection digital television. Intel is making the disclosure today in meetings with employees and customers impacted by the action.

Intel made the decision based on the company’s detailed analysis of the business case for the product line.

Intel originally announced its decision to manufacture the silicon technology for high-definition, large-screen TVs in January at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nev. At that time Intel said the company would make all-digital LCOS display technology to enable outstanding HDTV picture quality at high-volume price points. The January announcement attracted widespread press and public attention.

In a message to Consumer Electronics Group (CEG) employees today, CEG General Manager Glenda Dorchak said the group completed a comprehensive 2005 plan process and decided the long-term prospects for LCOS don’t support the investment required.

Dorchak said CEG will continue to focus on its charter to win platforms which comprise the Networked Media Product segment and will also continue to support the embedded Intel architecture (IA) print imaging segment. CEG marketing and engineering will also continue to support Intel’s discreet IA embedded solutions and next generation product development of Application Specific Standard Products. Today’s announcement does not affect these programs.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I am disappointed for the folks at Intel who were working on this.

I feel entirely vindicated in every single skeptical remark I've made about this agenda, especially including:

* my belief they'd never make enough money doing this to matter

* my belief they never had anything special to bring to the table

* my belief that Intel would never have any impact on the market even if they overcome those first two.

Rarely do I feel the need to say, "I told you so" but since this post is not directed at anyone in particular and I'm in one of those moods, "I told you so."

:)

mark

·
Registered
135 Posts
Let me tell you TI is doing some serious Ramp-up in the 300mm High end line.. I work for their largest equipent supplier and the orders are definatly flowing in fact I am in Texas right now at out MFg facilities to make sure the systems being build for IBM and TI are getting done right.

TI should be pumping out more DLPs soon

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Red
So, let me understand this. Intel jumps in, says they can get great product under $2000. Now they are ditching it for 'higher returns'? So Intel gave it a whole 8 months? HAHAHA
I believe that Intel were working on this for quite some time (years).

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, it was years. It's not really clear there was ever a strategy in place though.

Let's see eLCOS succeed where Intel, Brillian, Philips, Toshiba, Samsung, RCA, et al. have failed Dave! Sometimes, the little guy can go where the giants can't. Witness who survived when the dinosaurs died, for example.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rogo,

Intel had you believing in some kind of strategy last year at the original announcement because when I conjectured that it was just FUD you told me "This would be the most moronic strategy imaginable." :) You were right though. Intel's strategy in general lately has been pretty dismal.

Anyway, Intel can't kill LCOS when they never had it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With Intel out of the market, you'd think that UMC (JVC's LCoS fab) would have seen a little bump in it's share price. While the Dow and QQQ are down about 1% and 2%, respectively, one would still think this is good enough news for UMC. What I don't understand is why UMC doesn't list JVC as a customer on their web site even though D-ILA sets are supposedly ramping up to 30,000 units a month.

Any ideas guys?

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Witness who survived when the dinosaurs died, for example.
Dave, I think Rogo may have just called your compnay a "mouse".

Maybe "The Mouse That Roared" .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys:

Intel killed it because:

they don't have a position in consumer electronics (no,not PC's. TV's, camcorders, etc). Even the intel inside isn't the final brand - its dell, compaq, etc.

They could not get high enough yields at wafer probe

They were late to market with a mature product.

They had oversold their progress and fell short on delivery

None of this is fatal for a current supplier in consumer gear. but for Intel, to dominate, without a brand identity in consumer, or alternative like products tosupport a brand, you're dead.

P.S. Don't count them out.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rocket_man_57

P.S. Don't count them out.
Of what?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.