AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Looks like a winner, but it is changing a bunch of stuff. With the integrated memory controller, don't expect this to work in existing motherboards or to have the same type of package. I see a Nehalem in my future.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This throws a wrench in all my plans...but my intuition leads me to believe these processors will simply cost too much to be an option for me Q1 2009.

It will use all the newest technology. New motherboard, new memory, and a new processor. My geeky friend tells me he's been waiting for these for 5 years and he still uses a socket 478 CPU lol. There's no question the performance will be there, I'm just mad he didn't tell me about them when I spoke to him 2 Christmas' ago about upgrading to C2D from my P4 HT. I could have held off until then.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
New sockets all around, folks. From server down to mobile. If it's any consolation (probably not), it's being done now so that Sandy Bridge will not have a socket transition.

The chip is a beast, though, and (according to the info on that referenced thread), there will be several options on the desktop: high-end on the Tylersburg platform, mid-end quad-core (Lynnfield) and lower-end dual core with integrated graphics on the CPU (Havendale).

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Well, lets hope the drivers make good progress in the next year... but I am tentatively optimistic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts