Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Lessee.

These two chipsets were released today.

No one can buy them anywhere yet.

Reliability is much more important in this area than speed.

Ergo, how would anyone here know the answer to this question?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jgeiselman:

___It should be fine … The problem with the GL’s (I know you did not mention them) is that there are no AGP slots so they are a bust. The G’s are the fastest of the Intel chipsets using DDR and are worthy of an HTPC as long as everything works HW compatibility wise. This should almost be a guarantee using this newest Intel Nortbridge given Intel’s testing/compatibility prowess. The performance increase appears to be coming almost exclusively from the higher frequency DDR although in some cases, the Asynchronous memory controller is lagging the straight up 133/266 combination due to the FIFO’s and buffers need for asynchronous operation. Than again, the newer Northbridge’s memory controller is the best DDR cable setup Intel has given us to date according to those benches. In either case, I cannot wait to get my hands on one except Intel will be charging us for the lousy onboard graphic solution until further notice :( I am currently glad I am running a very inexpensive SiS 645DX based setup myself as the low cost P4 solution of choice but how I would love to see an I845-G without the onboard video in the neighborhood of $110.00 or less. Than we would be talking a great value IMO.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was merely allowing for speculation as to the possibility of this new chipset. nothing more nothing less.

As far as an i845G without graphics i too would be interested!!!! Although I have a feeling that board makers might hesitate in a release like that because it could undercut sales of i845E boards. But now its a wait and see kind of game.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jgeiselman:

___Its not the board makers that care one iota about whether they sell an I845D/E/G but Intel does as they can add $3.00 worth of circuitry and will probably charge us $20.00 - $25.00 more for it. This is just Intel’s little profit game they have played with us end users for what seems like forever …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___This is about the fastest chipset to end user launch I have ever seen. The I845G’s are available all over the net as well as pasted all over the Pricewatch --> MB --> 845G searches but when looking for the Asus P4B533 full alone, we are looking at over $190.00! What a rip …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Any MB have the 845G & 82854GC - gigbit e-net on board?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I would like a new MB, but I am looking for a USB 2.0 for attachment of external storage (READ - 120GB mobile HDTV drive). If I am correct, there is no Intel MB that meets my requirements (AGP & USB 2.0)

Jeff in Detroit

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The Abit BG7 is very, very close to what I want (jbryngelson, it has USB2.0 and up to 6 of them at South). But, why, why, why only 5 PCI slots???

[EDIT]

OK, I get it one of them is probably used by the net IF.

Very good MB, thanks.

[edit 2]

(As he talks to himself) Hmm, I don't see anything specifically supporting G-e-net?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Folks, I just ordered a motherboard with the 845E chipset and it includes USB2.0 and IEEE1394A. Although the motherboard was 'officially' released today, its actually been out about a month!

Of course, this board also has 6 IDE channels for 12 IDE/ATA devices, 5/6-channel audio with optical out, and some stinking bird in a pear tree.

Oh, and it cost $159. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.