AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but I did some searching and did not find anything.

Intel has relatively recently released the above chip with the usual attendant hype.

However, early reports from reviewers seem to confirm that this is an interesting chip with strong performance and also low power consumption thus cool, and WIFI to boot. This would seem to be an interesting chip for an HTPC then, no?

The blurbs I have seen indicate both the mobile orientation of the chip as well as fixed applications. Below are excerpts from an infoworld article.

Wouldn't this be a good application for an HTPC?

Do the chipmeisters here have any thoughts on this?

Has this been covered before?

Regards

Excerpts from Infoworld:

the Pentium-M is a chip architecture designed exclusively for a mobile environment, said AnandChandrasekher, Intel’s vice president and general manager of the mobile platforms group, at the recent Spring Intel Developer Forum in San Jose .

The Pentium-M uses some of the performance-oriented features of the Pentium 4, such as the bus technology and SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2) instructions, but Intel modified these features to make them more “power-friendly,â€Microprocessor Report’s Krewellsaid.

Notebooks using the Centrino package will be able to run for as long as five hours while processing power-intensive software such as Adobe Systems’ Photoshop or DVD rendering apps, according to Intel.

Intel had originally hoped Centrino would include Intel’s dual-band wireless chip with support for both 802.11b and 802.11a networks, but the company announced in December that Centrino would initially have to be packaged with a chip from Philips Electronics, constraining users to 802.11b. Support for the faster but less widely used 802.11a and 802.11g networks will follow later this year, Intel said in December.

Intel also expects the Pentium-M chip to be used in blade servers. The reduced amount of heat and power dissipated by the processor will help blade-server vendors design thinner servers, thereby increasing the density of storage their offerings can provide.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Since it's only available in laptops, it's not very usefull making an HTPC (unless it happens to have all the component you need). Blade servers are even worse for that kind of application.

I wouldn't be surprised it centrino makes a jump in the desktop world (would be nice for a SFF PC).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.