AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a HTPC that will be able to handle hulu, blue ray, antenna based HD, HD dvr functions, and HDMI output. I plan on leaving the system on 24/7 so that it can do scheduled recording like a dvr/vcr. I know there are currently problem with hd audio outputs in current systems but this isn't really an issue with me, I'm still ok with dolby 5.1. Since this will be always on I want it to be a low power system. Intels ultra low watt mobil cpu's would be my first option but as I understand they and their mobos are not available to system builders. So my next hope is that intel's upcoming pineview/pinetrail system will be able to handle what I want it to. I heard intel is going to offer a super low power hd video chip to mobo makers so it should handle HD output. So anyone have any idea on what these systems will be able to handle? I have heard that the current dual core atom systems can in no way handle Hulu video.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/16982520

I plan on leaving the system on 24/7 so that it can do scheduled recording like a dvr/vcr.

Your PVR software should be able to wake up your computer from sleep. My PC consumes 11 watts in sleep mode.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, which software are you using. Does it work with a usb tv tuner or does it have to pci. Is there a feature on the motherboard that I need to make sure is there for the wake up to work.

You think it would work with this board

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

DDR3 1800+ (OC), HD4200 DirectX10.1 & 2 oz Copper PCB(limit 5 per customer) what's this?

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor

4 gigs ddr3 ram

This is the system I originally wanted before I was worried about power usage. I have never really done the htpc thing before, but this should be more than enough computing for what I want to do, right? I know my laptop seems to do everything fine with a core 2 duo at 2.0ghz. My laptop does have graphics with dedicated ram though, where this motherboard just has cheepo onboard graphics. Anyways I could really use some advice on this.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/16983137

Interesting, which software are you using. Does it work with a usb tv tuner or does it have to pci. Is there a feature on the motherboard that I need to make sure is there for the wake up to work.

It's ours, but I don't think that it is unique to our software. USB or internal cards. Nothing special to configure.

When Windows goes to sleep it sends a message to other software running. That software can request a wakeup call for any hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts