AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/23...ridge-platform

I guess intel doesn't feel the need to get so far out ahead of AMD, plus I think intel is thinking the economy is going to go into the pooper again.
I really hate saying this, but, for the average joe, computers are more than powerful enough to handle what they need done. This is part of the cool down.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/23...ridge-platform

I guess intel doesn't feel the need to get so far out ahead of AMD, plus I think intel is thinking the economy is going to go into the pooper again.
I cannot comment on most of the conclusions drawn by the article as they involve roadmaps and such, but I can state that Fab 24 was not the only site slated for 22nm-- Arizona's Fab 32 has it as well (that is public record, so I can comment on it).

So claiming that not moving Fab 24 to 22nm is some kind of indication Ivy Bridge will be delayed by a quarter betrays a thorough lack of understanding of the business.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker
I really hate saying this, but, for the average joe, computers are more than powerful enough to handle what they need done. This is part of the cool down.
There's a lot to this, which I think our industry is struggling with.

The reason tablets, for instance, have been able to proliferate to the extent they have is indeed partly due to the innovation and stylistics of the design, but also because even with the weak-assed processors found there, many, MANY common usage models are still accomplishable without the brute force of a killer processor. While many in the industry sought out a "killer app" which would necessitate more need for raw power of a non-portable, portability has BECOME the killer app.

There are still limitations in, e.g. smartphones, which I (and I have to assume many users) find annoying (multi-tasking there SUCKS, and I have grown way used to it over time). Both Intel and the competition have plans, and it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
None I can share. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like intel has even less reason to be in a hurry with ivy bridge.

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/i...r-in-september

"Although it was never officially confirmed by AMD that desktop Bulldozer parts will launch in September there has been some solid info regarding that date, but now our sources are confirming that there will be no FX parts till mid-October, at earliest."

·
Registered
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2dave
The old LGA 1366 rig is getting pretty tired.
LOL

One-upmanship alert... I'm still using a P4 Socket 478 (Northwood) as a general purpose HTPC/DVR. Great for SD and HD MPEG2 (with H/A in the graphics, of course).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.