AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Apologies for my second posting of this but having looked again at the thread I first posted on I realised that very few people had visited it recently.

I posted this originally on archibael 's "Custom Resolution Tool for Intel Graphics: Easier Overscan Correction" thread. ( not allowed to link to it ).

This is my query repasted:

Hi, I have the very old

Intel GMA / Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family. (128mb)

on my PC with the latest driver 6.14.10.4396 installed.

I would like to get a 1600x900 20" monitor. However googling has lead me to discover that seemingly no one with these graphics can get that resolution (or 1366x768 either). No one has found a solution. - Also I don't think anyone can even get a high more typical (16x10) resolution with a flat screen and these graphics.

I was wondering whether this DTD calculator could manage it? I know on the first few pages it mentions newer intel graphics only.

Unfortunately I cannot get a graphics card to work in my pci-e 16x slot. I have been trying appropriate cards only (eg radeon ati x1300) and trying loads of online tips (eg using less ram) but it's just no go which is frustrating.

I would really like to get a new monitor before at some point down the line getting a new computer.

Am using XP pro sp3, 2gb ram, 3ghz P4 cpu. vga out (it's an hp dc7100 SFF)

Can you let me know whether the DTD calculator could sort these graphics to use a 1600x900 monitor?

Many thanks

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I'm almost certain the 915 chipset was supported by DTDs. I'm too old for my memory to be considered accurate, though. The trick was generally to find the actual timings from your EDID and pasting them into DTDCalc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I looked back at that thread and your wiki. Unfortunately the latest driver available for my machine is an earlier one than the 14.25.50 drivers or later required for the 915G (and other) chipsets.

But thanks for all this information anyway - it is very clear and at least I now know for definite that it can't work for my machine.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
You sure about that? The naming conventions for the driver releases were weird back then. If you look in the .INF file which comes with your driver release and search for "DTD", you'll know for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had a chance to check. I think I've done it correctly but unfortunately cannot find any DTD on a search. The most relevant thing I can find I think is HKR,,NativeResolution, %REG_DWORD%, 1

But no DTD.

I also thought I'd found later drivers for my machine on the HP site but when I downloaded and tried to install them I in the end got the messages 'not validated' for my machine and so set up was exited.

Ah well. Thanks again for the help anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, I tried to install drivers from intels download center

For example

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* XP (exe)

Installs graphic drivers version 14.25.50 for the integrated graphics controller of Intel® chipsets.

1/22/2007

14.​25.​50.​4764

which I thought was compatible with my chipset. (Intel 82915G/GV/910GL express chipset family). But I get the message that it's not validated for my machine and that set up will exit.

That driver does have DTD. And intel says it's valid for "Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family" (and others eg "intel 915 express chipset family")- is that a different thing from mine? I thought they might be part of the same group?

If I could install this driver (and it worked!) I would be able to use DTDcalculator.

Would this be possible at all?

I got this from the intel driver update tool

"Product Detected Intel® 915/910G

Current Driver Installed 6.14.10.4396

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer."

However, as I said in one of my (many!, sorry) posts above I tried the latest ones listed on the HP site and they were also not validated for my machine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's me again! Last time today. I think posting suddenly jogs me into thinking of my next step.

So i found this page for a work around to install a non validated driver

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030331.htm

edit - although it doesn't list my chipset as one that this procedure will work with. Do you think it will work anyway?

Also there's this message on the webpage before

"If you choose not to use the validated graphics driver from your computer manufacturer, you can install an Intel generic graphics driver. But, if you encounter problems using the generic driver, Intel recommends reinstalling the validated driver from your computer manufacturer."

Just wanted to ask if I do try it and the process does work to install the generic driver would I be likely to encounter any very serious problems - if i create a system restore point or use the roll back driver function i should just be able to go back easily right? Or maybe my pc will never work again. I guess it's not like it's worth very much

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have installed the non-validated driver. So far so good. But I'll see what happens over a couple of weeks. If all seems stable then hopefully I will be able to get a new monitor and modify this driver with the help of DTDcalculator.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
OEMs typically include their own "version" of the driver because that is the most modern one they've actually validated their hardware and BIOS against-- they don't have the resources to validate every driver release that comes out and they'd rather not deal with any bugs on an un-validated (by them) release.

I suspect the generic driver will be fine. Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again archibael. Seasons greetings!

Hi - well I still haven't got a new monitor as life events got right in the way before I could buy one. Now I'm back to looking again.

The updated driver is still working fine.

As my name suggests I was going to get a 1600x900 monitor (20").

But I have been wondering about getting something larger - but also wondering whether my pc could cope with a higher resolution?

either 1980x1080 or 1980x1200. 22" ish

My specs are:

MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Intel Pentium 4 530

Prescott 90nm Technology

2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 199MHz (3-3-3-8)

Hewlett-Packard 097Ch (XU1 PROCESSOR)

Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

Do you have any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.