AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this topic has been covered before, but I just got an Intel 900Mhz keyboard and mouse hooked up today. Incomparably superior to the Logitech product that I previously used. I can now go up to about 30 feet away from the base station and still get reasonable reception. I'm quite impressed by this product. Just my 2 cents worth...

Thx,

--Derek

·
Registered
141 Posts
derekja, for reference, what range were you getting out of the Logitech mouse/keyboard combo?

I was really disappointed with the range on the Logitech and figured the Intel would have a similar range, so I passed it up for the IR Airboard.

Functionally, the airboard is great - it does everything you'd expect it to and has super range. Ergonomics are another issue, tho... The keyboard is cramped and the mouse-stick is a bit unwieldy (as well as being my Bengal's favorite chew toy).

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree, I think the Intel KB is great.

Regarding power on from the KB, I believe that it is more of a bios issue for the motherboard than the for the keyboard. If your MB supports USB power on, then fine - otherwise, there is nothing the KB can do.

Even Apple has dropped power keys from their keyboards - the modern approach is to use 'standby' mode - for that, the Intel KB works just fine.

Cold boots are out going out of style...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was getting less than 6 feet with the Logitech. With the Intel I can now go about 30 feet and have the keyboard still work. I haven't tried the mouse from 30 feet, but it works fine at about 12 feet which is how far my usual working position is from the computer. (In case this paints a weird picture, the computer is at the back of the room and the front row of seats in the theater are about 12 feet away from it...)

Thx,

--Derek

·
Registered
860 Posts
I am still terribly concerned about the battery life.. Someone in the forum claimed 2/3 days! THAT'S MADNESS! Let me know what you have in terms of battery life.. I was gonna spring for the intel package.. but the battery life issue scares me.. I DEFINITELY do not want to change 2 sets of batteries EVERY month!!!!

Klutzo

------------------
Klutzo,

the newbie HT Boy.

BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.

Proxima DX3 main FP

Sharpvision Backup FP

Sony Wega aux monitor

Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Sega Dreamcast (various controllers)

www.klutzoplex.f2s.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
derekja I was getting less than 6 feet with the Logitech. With the Intel I can now go about 30 feet and have the keyboard still work. I haven't tried the mouse from 30 feet, but it works fine at about 12 feet which is how far my usual working position is from the computer. (In case this paints a weird picture, the computer is at the back of the room and the front row of seats in the theater are about 12 feet away from it...)

Thx,

--Derek

Derek

I dont know if your logitech set is faulty,low on batteries or the keyboards and mice for the american market are different than the ones they are shipping in europe, but this totally doesnt ring true to me.Both my mouse and keyboard will work 8-10 metres away, infact it will work through a closed wooden door for me. (Hope your not a microsoft employee doing some hyping, only joking ;-)

My set is the logitech cordless desktop pro. Six feet is less than two metres isnt it , seems strange to me.Battery life on the logitech seems good to me at aproximately two to three months.

arjo

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
A single report of short battery life - obviously a defective product, batteries never fail early. Don't buy it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Power up is still on the PC, unless there is some configuration option that I am not aware of. Since the base station is attached only to the USB port I can't see how it would control power up...

Thx,

--Derek

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My U.S. Logitech RF mouse won't go more than about 6 feet. You guys from Europe with the 10 meter range are lucky. The difference is probably due to a FCC mandated RF power output limitation.

[This message has been edited by GaryHDTV (edited 05-11-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.