AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Not sure if there is a current section/thread for this topic, but I'm interested to know if anyone here has any thoughts or experience with Intel's WIDI solution. I recently purchased a laptop with an I7 processor that has this function built in. Went and bought a Netgear PTV2000 for less than $100 and my thoughts are as follows:
  • Range is great. Have used in a relatively large room with no problems. No dropouts since I've had the unit.
  • poor latency. Of course, this is only noticeable if you pay attention to the laptop display while watching the TV. But it is considerable. The sound sent to the TV however is in sync with the video.
  • easy to configure. I recently updated to a newer router and simply reset the Netgear unit and connected easily.
  • No Blu Ray output. No matter what mode I try (clone, extended, dedicated) I can not get the display to show bluray movies. I've tried both PDVD 10 and TMT3. I can get 1080p mkv's to play fine, but when I start a bluray movie, I get sound but the video stays blank.

The last item is what actually brought me to the forum to see if anyone else is having the same problem. I noticed a poll here that showed most people aren't interested in a built-in solution, but I'd love to have this feature built in to my displays.

Didn't see any other related threads to this when doing a search, but if there is already one, please advise.

Tony

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b /forum/post/20758176

Hello all,

Not sure if there is a current section/thread for this topic, but I'm interested to know if anyone here has any thoughts or experience with Intel's WIDI solution. I recently purchased a laptop with an I7 processor that has this function built in. Went and bought a Netgear PTV2000 for less than $100 and my thoughts are as follows:
  • Range is great. Have used in a relatively large room with no problems. No dropouts since I've had the unit.
  • poor latency. Of course, this is only noticeable if you pay attention to the laptop display while watching the TV. But it is considerable. The sound sent to the TV however is in sync with the video.
  • easy to configure. I recently updated to a newer router and simply reset the Netgear unit and connected easily.
  • No Blu Ray output. No matter what mode I try (clone, extended, dedicated) I can not get the display to show bluray movies. I've tried both PDVD 10 and TMT3. I can get 1080p mkv's to play fine, but when I start a bluray movie, I get sound but the video stays blank.

The last item is what actually brought me to the forum to see if anyone else is having the same problem. I noticed a poll here that showed most people aren't interested in a built-in solution, but I'd love to have this feature built in to my displays.

Didn't see any other related threads to this when doing a search, but if there is already one, please advise.

Tony

I have a notebook (Dell) with this capability never invested in the reciever end. You have told me enough to know that it is not seamless enough to be interesting. If it ain't very much real time, it seems to be mostly a curiousity.

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks uncola! I thought I had the latest drivers and firmware but after applying the latest, I can now view BluRay content on the TV. The updates also improved the latency delay. It's now just barely noticeable, but there is a bit.

@gtgray

To each his own, but as I type this, I have a bluray playing on my TV at 1080p. The minimal delay is only noticeable if I try to view the video on the laptop, so essentially it doesn't matter. For me it has saved me the need to replace a media player that died on me. Was gonna get a popcorn hour, but with this setup, I have a more flexible media player that now has BD support. Well worth the money I spent on the receiver.

Tony

·
Registered
377 Posts
I might have kept my HTPC if I had this feature. I got so frustrated trying to control it using my mini bluetooth keyboard and my wireless IR mouse at 10 feet.

Using this feature you could put your HTPC in your coffee table or behind your couch - and actually control it without lag or dropped clicks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts