Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone is using a Intel wireless keyboard and mouse with their HTPC.

When I try to install from the CD it says wrong OS, I'm using XP Pro. I go to Intel's site and they have updated drivers. Says to extract and run a .exe that believe it or not does not exist.

Really annoyed and really frustrated.

Lunarist

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
mine is working fine in windows xp pro.

As they note there is no software for xp - just run the download file which is a self-extracting file and then follow the directions on the web site precisely to install the base station, keyboard, mouse and game pad drivers

Quote from instructions:

-------------------------------------------------

How to Use this Patch:

1. Download WLESSXP.EXE to a temporary directory on your local hard drive. Note: Make sure you remember the name of the directory to which you extract the driver files.

2. Click Start > Run. Click Browse and go to the temporary directory on your hard drive where the downloaded file was saved.

3. Double click on WLESSXP.EXE located in the temporary directory and follow the screen prompts.

4. After the software has been installed, locate the configuration instructions below for your devices. Configure your base station first, then your peripheral device(s).

--------------------------------------------------

Intel(r) Wireless Series Base Station Accessory

1. Be sure you have run WLESSXP.EXE first, as per the instructions above.

2. While the computer is on, connect the Base Station to a USB port on your computer.

3. Connect the power cord to the back of the Base Station and plug it into an electrical outlet.

4. Click Start > Control Panel

5. Verify that you're in Classic View.

6. Double-click System.

7. Click the Hardware tab.

8. Click Device Manager.

9. Double-click USB Controllers.

10. Double-click USB Composite Device.

11. Click the Driver tab.

12. Click Update Driver then click Next.

13. The Upgrade Device Wizard will open > Click Next > Select Install from a list or specific location> click Next

14. Select Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install. > Click Next

15. Click Have Disk > Click Browse > Browse to C:\\Temp\\Wlessxp (or the location that you chose to extract the files)

16. Double-click on the file Xpbse> Click OK > Click Next

17. Click Continue Anyway when prompted by the Hardware Installation > Click Finish

18. Verify the Intel(r) Wireless Base Station device now appears under the USB tree.

Note: If devices were previously used with the Intel(r) Base Station they may be detected immediately. If so please complete the installation by following the instructions for the device listed in the corresponding section below.

Intel(r) Wireless Series Keyboard Accessory

1. Be sure you have first installed and verified the Wireless Series Base Station. The wireless keyboard will not work without it.

2. Insert three AA batteries in the Wireless Series Keyboard.

3. Press the connect button on the battery cover of the Wireless Series Keyboard

4. Press the connect button on the front of the Base Station (the connect light will flash slowly). Wait for 1-3 minutes while the keyboard and base station communicate with each other. Once the base station detects the keyboard, the connect light on the base flashes rapidly.

5. The Found New Hardware Wizard will open > Select Install the software automatically> click Next

6. A Hardware Installation Window may appear > Click Continue Anyway

7. The wizard should find a driver> Click Next > Click Finish > Restart Your Computer if Necessary

8. The Found New Hardware Wizard will open after detecting HID keyboard Device> Select Install the software automatically> Click Next> Click Finish

9. The Found New Hardware Wizard will open after detecting HID compliant consumer control device

10. Select Install the software automatically > Click Finish

11. The Found New Hardware Wizard will open after detecting HID compliant device> Select Install the software automatically> Click Next> Click Finish

12. Verify that the Keyboard is connected. Press Start button on keyboard (lower left corner) and verify that Start menu launches.

Intel(r) Wireless Series Mouse Accessory

1. Be sure you have first installed and verified the Wireless Series Base Station. The wireless mouse will not work without it.

2. Insert three AAA batteries in the Wireless Series Mouse.

3. Press the connect button on the bottom of the Wireless Series Mouse

4. Press the connect button on the front of the Base Station (the connect light will flash slowly). Wait for 1-3 minutes while the mouse and base station communicate with each other. Once the base station detects the mouse, the connect light on the base flashes rapidly.

5. The Found New Hardware Wizard will open > Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) > click Next

6. Select Search for the best driver in these locations> Uncheck Search removable media (floppy CD-ROM…)

7. Check Include this location in the search. > Click browse> browse to C:\\Temp\\Wlessxp (or the location that you chose to extract the files) > Click OK

8. Click Next > A Hardware Installation Window may appear > Click Continue Anyway

9. The wizard should find a driver> Click Finish > Restart Your Computer if Necessary

10. The Found New Hardware Wizard will open after detecting HID compliant mouse> Select Install the software automatically> Click Next> Click Finish

11. Verify that the Mouse is connected.

Intel(r) Wireless Series Gamepad Accessory

1. Be sure you have first installed and verified the Wireless Series Base Station. The wireless Gamepad will not work without it.

2. Insert three AAA batteries in the Wireless Series Gamepad.

3. Press the connect button on the bottom of the Wireless Series Gamepad

4. Press the connect button on the front of the Base Station (the connect light will flash slowly). Wait for 1-3 minutes while the Gamepad and base station communicate with each other. Once the base station detects the Gamepad, the connect light on the base flashes rapidly.

5. The Found New Hardware Wizard will open > Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) > click Next

6. Select Search for the best driver in these locations> Uncheck Search removable media (floppy CD-ROM…)

7. Check Include this location in the search. > Click browse> browse to C:\\Temp\\Wlessxp (or the location that you chose to extract the files) > Click OK

8. Click Next > A Hardware Installation Window may appear > Click Continue Anyway

9. The wizard should find a driver> Click Finish > Restart Your Computer if Necessary

10. The Found New Hardware Wizard will open after detecting HID compliant game controller> Select Install the software automatically> Click Next> Click Finish

11. Verify that the Gamepad is connected. Press the "Mouse Mode" button on the Gamepad. If the pointer on the computer screen moves, it is properly connected.

Note: If you have more Gamepads to install, simply repeat the steps above.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ralph, but as I said earlier after extracting the exe it says to run another exe which is not there at all.

Lunarist

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
don't extract the executable - it self extracts to a directory of your choice. That is what they are talking about. There is no separate program to run after extracting. Just follow the directions to install drivers and point to the directory where you chose to extract the files ( I believe it is temp\\wlessxp by default)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm using the Intel system on my HTPC with good results. I tried, when XP first came out, to find drivers with no luck as Intel stopped selling the product. It seems that I may need to revisit the idea of upgrading my software now that drivers are available.

The keyboard works fine although the transport controls only work with Windows CD player. The range seems good. I'm usingmine across an 18' room. The mouse is acceptable, but range is short unless batteries are 100%. This is a problem because the mouse tends to chew through batteries fairly quickly. I was getting less that two weeks of very intermittant use on the three AAA alkalines. I switched to rechargable NmH's, but this is a less than perfect answer as the fully charged voltage of an Mmh is only 1.2V compared to the 1.5 of an alkaline. As far as the mouse is concerned, The batteries are dead when you install them. I only get a few days before the mouse goes erratic. At least they are quicky and inexpensively recharged though. I'm thinking the best solution would be to find a way to install 4 NmH cells although I'm at a loss as to how it could be done with standard size cells.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I think that using the mouse is a non-starter due to the limited battery life. I never replace mine and should probably just uninstall it. On the other hand I have the four gamepads and they have never had the batteries replaced and still all function well after more than a year as supplements to my attached USB mouse when I don't feel like going to the box

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I have the keyboard, mouse and 2 gamepads. Love it.

Perfect for HTPC.

Good range, and works through walls.

I have the PC and basestation in another room.

I don't use the mouse, I use the gamepad as a mouse, much better, no table required.

You can hook up multiple gamepads and all work fine as a mouse. Good if your feeding the HTPC to different rooms.

Just sit back in your chair and go!

Anyone who wants one if you can find one, they are usually heavily discounted as Intel discontinued them some time ago, but drivers exist for all OS's I've tried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.