AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago, someone posted some questions on the use of the interactive TV and web TV features on the Ultimate TV boxes, and most users were too new to really have tried them out.

Now that the boxes have been in the field for quite a bit longer, I am curious how many of you use the interactive TV and web TV on a regular basis. Also, what is your primary use of each feature, and how often do you find yourself using each over the course of a day or a week?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

·
Registered
93 Posts
I stopped trying to use the interactive and WebTV features. Dialing up to connect during the middle of a program is too slow for me. I lived with a dial-up service for years before having a cable modem, but getting online with UTV's dial-up still seems strangely slow.

When the DSL or (eventually, I hope) ethernet/USB hookup becomes available, I could see my family using the interactive features a lot.

------------------

RCA UTV

3 Hughes Platinums

Oval dual LNB

Hitachi 53SWX01W 16x9 HDTV

HTPC (in progress)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with Scoots.

When one has cable Internet service, waiting for a "dial-up" connection is extremely tedious, don't use the two services - NEVER will - and I have written it over and over - I want a way to SHUT OFF the annoying pop-up I & W Icons - it's bad enough PAYING a monthly fee for guide ads let alone musical letters popping up on the screen repeatedly!!!!

UTVInsider - How Can I Shut Them Off?????? Please, Pretty Please.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree...

Give us a way to shut of the pops... especially when it takes close to 2 mins to get connected to anything when you try to use i-net services...

joe

·
Registered
292 Posts
Even though I do not use these features, I am very surprised, that with the amount of readers in this group that only 4 of us even answered this good question. I guess it does show that the features aren't very popular, and here I go again, gives justification that there should be a way to shut off the pop-up icons.

Oops - 5 - snuck in there jplescia.

[This message has been edited by JimL (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Count me in as not interested at all in WebTV.

------------------

Life's great when you're great

Two Phillips DSR6000 DirecTiVo receivers

One RCA Ultimate TV receiver

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Gremlin -

I guess the point of the original post was to determine if you'd be willing to pay extra for those features. As was noted here in another thread, you can get a DirecTiVo with life time service for $310 and a second one for $60 for a total of $370. The lowest price I have seen on the Ultimate TV box is $250 + $10 a month (or another way to look at it: one Ultimate TV box and one year of service is the same price as two DirecTiVo boxes). Even not including any rebates, 2 DirecTiVo boxes ($160 each + $250 life time service == $570) are the same price as 2 Ultimate TV boxes and 7 months of service (so you save $50 the first year and $120 each year after).

Therefore the question is: are you (or is anyone else) willing to pay the premium for those features?

/carmi

·
Registered
657 Posts
That's too funny... TiVo Fuzzy Math!!!

Hey you want to take a risk well that's your business but don't try to sell me on how an attractive a deal it is.. ROFLMAO!

It's a good deal for TiVo getting their money up front, I will say that much... and raising the Lifetime fee to $250... to drag in some more capital was even better yet.. LOL... not that I blame them under the circumstances.

What the heck even if you were to only get two good years out of DTiVo lifetime subscription that's still not a bad deal.... but pay extra for UTV service that's to much.. better luck next time.. I figure in two years I be buying a new box anyway.. they just get better... that's the way it is... hardware can change a lot in two years.

But back to TiVo, I would be more concerned why DTiVo prices are as low as they are? Could it be the manufactures are dumping? Maybe this is a tell tail sign of things to come? I sure hope not then we will never get Webtv to cut their next software release... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

Grem.....

·
Registered
657 Posts
I posted this in another thread..

It probably applies more so in this post so I will post it again.. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

==========================

I think some folks are missing the point... UltimateTV® service is developed by WebTV Networks, Inc. It's design is based on it's business model "WebTV" and to promote it's usage.

As new webtv features become available along with interactive tv, simple internet activity and email services then in this case UTV is can be very attractive alternative for some. In addition UTV will most likely continue to improve dvr functionality as well.

I would not look at UTV as a replacement for the PC with high speed internet connectivity, nor is a replacement for a dedicated TV PVR but rather a family directv entertainment center based around internet connectivity.

Someone stated UTV is more suited for mom and pops in the midwest well perhaps this is true but there is a lot of mom's and pop's that just may find that UTV fit's the bill!

I also do not actively use my UTV with Webtv but only because my preference to using a PC as an interface to the web in general. As webtv aligns itself with UTV then I expect that will change. It will require a lot of vision from Webtv and UTV in doing so but there is a lot of talented people in this country. With more folks staying home these days I would say it's a safe bet that they will explore this area of opportunity!

UltimateTV success depends on consumers acceptance of these features. I personally think they have their work cut out for them but I also see a very viable market for these services.

Webtv would do well to increase the standard usages hours from 3 hours to at least 30 hours a month considering access limitations using modem. More folks will explore Webtv in doing so. As it is I only pay $15. month for unlimited internet access using my PC, $10 a month for Webtv and UTV seems high when you consider other manufactures have a flat one time fee options. Webtv needs to be more competitive and offer an incentive if they seriously want to promote it!

Grem...

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
65 Posts
I too swore that I would not use the WebTV portion of my UTV because I have three computers with shared DSL access in the other room but I will admit that I have and do use it occasionally.

My wife was stricken with RA earlier this year, sometimes she is in too much pain to go into the other room and sit at her computer. I purchased the remote keyboard for UTV and she loves it. When she is really bad off and the only comfortable seat in the house is the recliner, she can still go on the web and shop or just surf.

I also find it handy when guests are over to go to my web and some relatives web sites where pictures have been posted showing various family functions. The digital photos look great on my 37" TV and everyone can see them at once without crowding around a computer in the Den.

Just my 2 cents...

Keith

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
With the DirecTiVo lifetime subscription if you upgrade your box, you keep the subscription. So, you do pay quite a bit extra for your UTV subscription. Also as I noted, your UTV hardware is much more expensive, so you start out paying extra. You think my math is fuzzy, show me where.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom:
With the DirecTiVo lifetime subscription if you upgrade your box, you keep the subscription.
Actually, this depends upon what you mean by "upgrade". If you mean opening it up and adding tons of space, then you're correct. Many people have added an extra 80 GB drive to their DirecTivos, and I think you can replace the original drive with a larger drive too.

If, by "upgrade" you mean you can buy a newer model DirecTivo to replace the original, they don't let you transfer the lifetime service. But, as long as you keep the original model as your primary one, any subsequent models will not require any further fees.

------------------

Brett
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven,

choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy.
s>

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:
I posted this in another thread..

It probably applies more so in this post so I will post it again.. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

==========================

I think some folks are missing the point... UltimateTV® service is developed by WebTV Networks, Inc. It's design is based on it's business model "WebTV" and to promote it's usage.

As new webtv features become available along with interactive tv, simple internet activity and email services then in this case UTV is can be very attractive alternative for some. In addition UTV will most likely continue to improve dvr functionality as well.

I would not look at UTV as a replacement for the PC with high speed internet connectivity, nor is a replacement for a dedicated TV PVR but rather a family directv entertainment center based around internet connectivity.

Someone stated UTV is more suited for mom and pops in the midwest well perhaps this is true but there is a lot of mom's and pop's that just may find that UTV fit's the bill!

I also do not actively use my UTV with Webtv but only because my preference to using a PC as an interface to the web in general. As webtv aligns itself with UTV then I expect that will change. It will require a lot of vision from Webtv and UTV in doing so but there is a lot of talented people in this country. With more folks staying home these days I would say it's a safe bet that they will explore this area of opportunity!

UltimateTV success depends on consumers acceptance of these features. I personally think they have their work cut out for them but I also see a very viable market for these services.

Webtv would do well to increase the standard usages hours from 3 hours to at least 30 hours a month considering access limitations using modem. More folks will explore Webtv in doing so. As it is I only pay $15. month for unlimited internet access using my PC, $10 a month for Webtv and UTV seems high when you consider other manufactures have a flat one time fee options. Webtv needs to be more competitive and offer an incentive if they seriously want to promote it!

Grem...

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 09-24-2001).]
Grem, with all due respect, I think you are missing the point. It doesn't matter what "model" MS is using with WebTV. No one is buying.

WebTV, particularly on a s-l-ow dial up connection, displayed on a low res screen, is simply irrelevant. MS is beating a dead horse with this, and even you have stated here that you prefer to use your PC for web access. So does everyone else.

What difference does it make if MS offers even 10,000 hours of WebTV free with UTV? If subscribers don't even use the 3 included WebTV access hours, why will they use more?

Incidentally, I am one of those "pop's" in the Midwest you patronizingly refer to. Neither my wife nor I (both in our late 50's) would ever consider using dialup for internet access. We have T-1 connections at our offices, and DSL at home.

------------------

Ignore them, m'dear: They're beneath your dignity.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
That's too funny... TiVo Fuzzy Math!!!

Hey you want to take a risk well that's your business but don't try to sell me on how an attractive a deal it is.. ROFLMAO!

It's a good deal for TiVo getting their money up front, I will say that much... and raising the Lifetime fee to $250... to drag in some more capital was even better yet.. LOL... not that I blame them under the circumstances.

What the heck even if you were to only get two good years out of DTiVo lifetime subscription that's still not a bad deal.... but pay extra for UTV service that's to much.. better luck next time.. I figure in two years I be buying a new box anyway.. they just get better... that's the way it is... hardware can change a lot in two years.

But back to TiVo, I would be more concerned why DTiVo prices are as low as they are? Could it be the manufactures are dumping? Maybe this is a tell tail sign of things to come? I sure hope not then we will never get Webtv to cut their next software release... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

Grem.....

The prices on TiVo are low, because Hughes, the parent company of DirecTV, is selling their boxes at a loss to get subscribers--not for TiVo, but for DirecTV.

I wouldn't worry about TiVo products becoming "obsolete" any time soon. Remember, they are software upgradeable. Remember also that the subscription service that is downloaded from DirecTV's satellite is the same service as is downloaded by UTV.

If TiVo filed chapter 11 tomorrow, DirecTiVo boxes would work just as well as they do now...which is quite good! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
As Shining Bengal points out, WebTV (now MSN-TV) has been slowly losing customers. I always find it funny that people's reaction to these features is "I never use them, but I am sure that someone else must." (Go back and look at the original thread and you will see the same thing.) I have yet to find one person that really loves these features and would have paid extra for them knowing how little they have used them.

Let's look at two customers. On the same day one bought a DirecTiVo and the other bought a UTV. At the beginning the UTV customer had the advantage of two tuners and the DirectTiVo customer had the advantage of better recording control. Flash forward to today, the DirecTiVo customer now has two tuners and the UTV customer has gained nothing. MS's problem is that the number of people that care about internet on television is very small, and certainly as a percentage of the early adopters of PVR technology it is tiny.

/carmi

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was going to respond again to this tread but I have decided it just not worth it... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

As Paul stated in another thread there are far more important issues facing this country now than this nonsense over UTV vs. TiVo.

Since the number of posts has fallen off drastically these past weeks I suspect most of the other UTV regulars feel much the same way as I do.

If someone needs help with their UTV well then I will happy to respond as I am sure some of the UTV and TiVo folks will continue to do as they have done in the past.

Grem..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
I was going to respond again to this tread but I have decided it just not worth it... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

As Paul stated in another thread there are far more important issues facing this country now than this nonsense over UTV vs. TiVo.

Since the number of posts has fallen off drastically these past weeks I suspect most of the other UTV regulars feel much the same way as I do.

If someone needs help with their UTV well then I will happy to respond as I am sure some of the UTV and TiVo folks will continue to do as they have done in the past.

Grem..

Yes, there are important issues facing our country, and I think it is plain silly for you to point out the obvious, not to mention intellectually dishonest.

You choose to respond to earlier posts, but when you have no response, you tell us it is because you, as opposed to the rest of us, are so patriotic.

Let's keep this thread (or is it "tread?") on topic, Gremlin.

How many posts have you made here since September 11?

Yuck.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ShiningBengal (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The good news is that WebTV is present and works. As I understand it, there is no option in DTivo due to hardware limitations. Spouse E-Mail works well here.

The bad news is it's slow. This is partly due to the dialup modem and probably partly due to UTV. In either case, surfing the web is not all that practical yet. Even interactive links for ongoing shows is mostly unusable as the time required to dial, connect, and go to the page is measured in minutes.

If at some point they add ethernet to take advantage of house DSL (which we and many have), the speed issue may be greatly improved. Time will tell...

Ed

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.