Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Dixon:
The good news is that WebTV is present and works. As I understand it, there is no option in DTivo due to hardware limitations. Spouse E-Mail works well here.
You could just as easily add a video card to your PC with a TV out, and let your wife read her e-mail (much faster) on a real PC (using the TV as a monitor). That would also let you surf much faster, and allow you to use it for games and any other PC application.

Quote:
The bad news is it's slow. This is partly due to the dialup modem and probably partly due to UTV. In either case, surfing the web is not all that practical yet. Even interactive links for ongoing shows is mostly unusable as the time required to dial, connect, and go to the page is measured in minutes.

If at some point they add ethernet to take advantage of house DSL (which we and many have), the speed issue may be greatly improved. Time will tell...

Ed
Based on what UTVinsider has said, adding high speed networking isn't a high priority, so don't expect it any time soon. Again buying a computer industry product on the basis that at some point they might upgrade to do what you want is never a good idea. This industry has a habit of making systems obsolete rather than letting them be upgraded.

As to Gremlin's response: I will quote the President and say the most important thing we can do as Americans is to get back to our regular lives as quickly as possible (in other words I agree with Shining Bengal).

/carmi

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
hey, new graphic on the top, nice http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

on the Tivo/UTV front, I think most would agree that Tivo now has a feature advantage with dual tuners implemented. Fact is, UTV didn't do much in the last release to even close the gap that much, let alone add more features that go beyond what Tivo has. I hope UTV continues to add more recording features, but also focuses on more features that the other people don't have so there is a clear advantage again. Tivo was behind UTV for 6 month, IMHO, but they have now surpased UTV. WebTV is not what sells the PVR, it is a nice-to-have, again IMHO. If they had high-speed access, it would be another story, but, as UTVInsider has said, they won't be getting that any time soon. I think the Tivo/UTV issue is rather silly as I've posted before, and I agree that conversations on this board should remain supportive of UTV people, their problems, and their purchasing decisions. But you can be sure the Tivo people will continue to monitor/post/argue, as any good American is apt to do http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

cheers,

paul

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom:

You could just as easily add a video card to your PC with a TV out, and let your wife read her e-mail (much faster) on a real PC (using the TV as a monitor). That would also let you surf much faster, and allow you to use it for games and any other PC application.
She doesn't like PCs, of which we have plenty. Actually purchased a WebTV unit two years ago for just this reason. She likes that and the UTV replaced it with a simpler approach.

Ed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M:
Sorry, Paul, but until Tivo has PIP, it is missing one of our most used features. I can only guess that those who say PIP isn't important never watch live shows at all or two sporting events at once. Being able to go to another channel while a commercial is on allows us to control our lives instead of being controlled by advertisers. Again, I am absolutely amazed that anyone thinks that a PIP-less Tivo wins hands down on features.
Well, I rarely watch live TV (and when I do, I stay 15 minutes behind, so I can skip commercials), and I never watch sports, so to me a PIP-less Tivo does win hands down. Is that "absolutely amazing"?

I'm not saying PIP isn't important for some viewing styles, just that it is unimportant for some other viewing styles.

I also am not very interested in TV-based web access, since I often am watching TV with a laptop in my lap, already connected http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Arjuna34

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, Paul, but until Tivo has PIP, it is missing one of our most used features. I can only guess that those who say PIP isn't important never watch live shows at all or two sporting events at once. Being able to go to another channel while a commercial is on allows us to control our lives instead of being controlled by advertisers. Again, I am absolutely amazed that anyone thinks that a PIP-less Tivo wins hands down on features.
I understand you like PIP, I do too. But with two tuners now, both under your control with Tivo, you can switch back and forth between them and they both have trick-play capabilities (pause, ff, rw, etc.). So, you can't watch two things on the screen at the same time, but you can definitely watch two things at the same time. Subtle, but still there. So, IMHO, they do not constitute a major win for UTV over DirecTivo for *most* people (and I realize you probably aren't *most* people http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

paul

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pjenkins:
Quote:
I understand you like PIP, I do too. But with two tuners now, both under your control with Tivo, you can switch back and forth between them and they both have trick-play capabilities (pause, ff, rw, etc.). So, you can't watch two things on the screen at the same time, but you can definitely watch two things at the same time. Subtle, but still there. So, IMHO, they do not constitute a major win for UTV over DirecTivo for *most* people (and I realize you probably aren't *most* people http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

paul

I agree, Paul. Why the heck would you want to half-watch two games when you can watch every play of both games?

------------------

Brett
There should be a detective show called 'Johnny Monkey'. That way every week a criminal could say, "I ain't gonna get caught by no monkey," but then he would, and I don't think I'd ever get tired of that.s>

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
While I don't mean this to sound wrong or inappropriate in any form, having PIP on September 11 was very useful.

Live news events are something you don't want to delay and don't want to miss, especially when family and friends are involved.

Ed

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll agree to liking PIP, but the thing I like the least about my UTV after using my DirecTiVo is having to swap between the PIP windows to change tuners. Is this the only to change tuners so you don't lose the buffer on each tuner? I wish there was some easy way like the down arrow on the DirecTiVo.

------------------

Life's great when you're great

Two Phillips DSR6000 DirecTiVo receivers

One RCA Ultimate TV receiver

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
One way to do this is to use record button. Press record on channel A. Then use swap button to switch between tuners keeping buffer in each case.

I'll admit it is a little crude, but it works every time.

Ed

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
What swap button? I have a recent, home and back. No swap

------------------

Directv Subscriber (oval dish+ sat c kit)

RCA UTV, Hughes 2 E25 and 1 Hughes E11

Comcast Subscriber:

cable modem and basic cable

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah:

I agree, Paul. Why the heck would you want to half-watch two games when you can watch every play of both games?

I have several DirecTiVos, including two (purchased before the second tuner was active) that were connected to the same TV (a Sony Wega that supports PIP). I discovered that I never used the PIP preferring to use the pause and switch approach. I hate watching commercials and the down time between plays in football, so I find that approach much better. I find that the PIP is distracting, rather then helpful and certainly not worth $90.

/carmi

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Corey140:
What swap button? I have a recent, home and back. No swap
The button that recalls the last channel viewed. It is listed as recent on my RCA remote and programmed to a different key on my RS 1994 remote.

When you are recording on one tuner, changing channels will always try to use the other tuner. Then hitting the recent button (which I called swap) will switch between the two tuners.

Ed

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Questioner:
Now that the boxes have been in the field for quite a bit longer, I am curious how many of you use the interactive TV and web TV on a regular basis.
I never use them on my UTV for a couple of reasons. First of all, my box just reboots when connecting to WebTV, so I can't get online anymore (since getting the latest update).

Secondly, when I could get on it was so agonizingly slow that one or two times online was enough for me. I can only get 28.8 dialup on my PC, but even that is leaps and bounds faster than WebTV. I don't know what they do to make it run so slowly, but it's virtually useless, IMHO.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Paul, you are right. It is not amazing for you to not think PIP is good because you do not watch live TV and you do not like sports. For others, I would like to reply that setting up two record buffers and watching them in 15 minute delay is a Rube Goldberg workaround and doesn't really describe our use of PIP.

Let's say we're watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire live, but they go to commercial. I then bring up the PIP window of Food Network and swap. When I see Millionaire come back up in the PIP window, I swap and get rid of the PIP window.

Lets say I'm watching two football games. You can keep the PIP up constantly, swapping for commercials or big plays.

Last night I was able to watch E.R. and the Miami game simultaneously. I had E.R. in the PIP window and the sound from E.R. Miami was in the main screen with no sound. This works great on a big TV.

And for whoever said they wouldn't pay $90 for PIP, I have to disagree.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Paul, you are right. It is not amazing for you to not think PIP is good because you do not watch live TV and you do not like sports. For others, I would like to reply that setting up two record buffers and watching them in 15 minute delay is a Rube Goldberg workaround and doesn't really describe our use of PIP.

Let's say we're watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire live, but they go to commercial. I then bring up the PIP window of Food Network and swap. When I see Millionaire come back up in the PIP window, I swap and get rid of the PIP window.

Lets say I'm watching two football games. You can keep the PIP up constantly, swapping for commercials or big plays.

Last night I was able to watch E.R. and the Miami game simultaneously. I had E.R. in the PIP window and the sound from E.R. Miami was in the main screen with no sound. This works great on a big TV.

And for whoever said they wouldn't pay $90 for PIP, I have to disagree.

just as a clarification, to which my wife can attest http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif i watch more liveTV then taped, and i love sports, watching that more than any other programs during basketball and football seasons. for sports I agree that PIP is a nice feature, and some, like you, would pay the extra to get that. as i've said different strokes... it isn't worth $90 to ME, and I would think it isn't worth $90 to a large number of others as well, perhaps not...

------------------

Paul

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.