AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to track down some information as to the inner workings of TV displays. Not so much what will produce the best picture, that's an argument for another day.

I completely understand inherently Bluray Discs (BDs) aren't encoded in either NTSC or PAL, simply 1080/24p. This discussion is ignoring the TV's that can do 24p natively, I want to know what happens if they don't..

As a result, we still have TV's based around the broadcast rates of PAL / NTSC countries. Commonly in Europe and Australia we have TV's based around 50hz / 100hz TV's, and in America for instance we have 60hz / 120hz TV's.

Since they "cannot" (for the purposes here) display in 24p, is it fair to say they undergo the same processing as what they did in terms of frame rates for PAL and NTSC. Do TV's in 50hz area's increase the frames by 4% speed then double them to 50hz? Do TV's in 60hz area's use 2:3 pulldown (or 3:2 sorry can never remember which) to increase to 60hz?

As I said, I know NTSC and PAL don't factor into the actual encoding on the discs, but what about display rates further on down the technology line?

Cheers.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts