AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll just cut right to the chase. Three questions:

1) Can I use a PCI Express Dual Tuner card (AverMedia, Hauppauge, etc.) with a PCI Tuner card together so that I can record/watch up to 3 ATSC channels at the same time? Are there specific software setups I should gravitate towards if I want to do that?

2) Should I use the same brand? Do I have to? I am having a hard time finding an AverMedia PCI card so I could just grab a Hauppauge 1600, but the AverMedia PCI-E card is cheaper than the Hauppauge 2250.

3) Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems like there is a lot of hate for Hauppauge... am I wrong? Are they good quality? Work well with SageTV/Boxee/Win 7 64-bit/etc.? I think that the last time I looked at a TV Tuner card (YEARS ago) they were the unrivaled leaders, and now I feel like all I read about them is negative.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27HoursLater /forum/post/18273557

I'll just cut right to the chase. Three questions:

1) Can I use a PCI Express Dual Tuner card (AverMedia, Hauppauge, etc.) with a PCI Tuner card together so that I can record/watch up to 3 ATSC channels at the same time? Are there specific software setups I should gravitate towards if I want to do that?

As long as the cards you use are supported by your software of choice, there is no issue. Exception: I've read of some off brand cards whose drivers don't support more than one device in a system but I can't remember which ones. Using different cards with them will work however.

Quote:

2) Should I use the same brand? Do I have to? I am having a hard time finding an AverMedia PCI card so I could just grab a Hauppauge 1600, but the AverMedia PCI-E card is cheaper than the Hauppauge 2250.

You don't have to use the same brand and I see no real reason to do so other than personal preference. I use a 2250, 2 HDHomeRuns and a VistaView Saber all in the same machine.

Quote:

3) Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems like there is a lot of hate for Hauppauge... am I wrong? Are they good quality? Work well with SageTV/Boxee/Win 7 64-bit/etc.? I think that the last time I looked at a TV Tuner card (YEARS ago) they were the unrivaled leaders, and now I feel like all I read about them is negative.

I have no issue with my 2250 (first Hauppauge card other than the HD PVR). There were some issue with QAM due to the drivers when they were first released but they have long since been ironed out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your help Vladd!!!

EDIT: Sorry, I do have two quick questions to follow up with.

1) Is it really that easy? Is it more complicated to set up or is the software out there designed to just pick up all the signals and use them accordingly?

2) Do you just use one antenna with a splitter then, or two separate antennae?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Digital tuners are getting hard to find in PCI, most everything is going to PCIe these days. The Avermedia Duet is the value leader for the OTA crowd ($65) but it's PCIe. The Asus PHC3-150 is a decent PCI tuner for $80 ($60 after rebate) and even includes a USB remote. You're buying an analog tuner you will probably never use, but you do get a capture card that might be handy for converting old videos. Using the 2 together gets you 3 ATSC tuners and a USB remote.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18274040

Digital tuners are getting hard to find in PCI, most everything is going to PCIe these days. The Avermedia Duet is the value leader for the OTA crowd ($65) but it's PCIe. The Asus PHC3-150 is a decent PCI tuner for $80 ($60 after rebate) and even includes a USB remote. You're buying an analog tuner you will probably never use, but you do get a capture card that might be handy for converting old videos. Using the 2 together gets you 3 ATSC tuners and a USB remote.

I was thinking about getting the Avermedia Duet with a Hauppauge 1600, but that Asus card is a bit cheaper, and looks just as nice. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27HoursLater /forum/post/18273974

Thanks so much for your help Vladd!!!

EDIT: Sorry, I do have two quick questions to follow up with.

1) Is it really that easy? Is it more complicated to set up or is the software out there designed to just pick up all the signals and use them accordingly?

It's pretty simple to set up these days. Depending on the software you decide to use, the most difficult part will be to map the digital channels to your EPG information and even this is relatively simple.

Quote:

This all depends on where your house is situated in relation to your broadcast towers, signal strength and the antenna used. If you already have an antenna that works on your TV to pick up all your stations, you don't need another antenna unless you split it too much and degrade the signal beyond the point of useability. Even then, you can probably just use an amplifier. I use cable to get my locals mainly because my wife does not like the sight of an antenna.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:

I'd tend towards 1 antenna with a splitter. 2 antennas seems like more complication and overkill than it's worth.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout /forum/post/18274359

I'd tend towards 1 antenna with a splitter. 2 antennas seems like more complication and overkill than it's worth.

Agreed. 2 antennas should be a last resort.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27HoursLater /forum/post/18274311

I was thinking about getting the Avermedia Duet with a Hauppauge 1600, but that Asus card is a bit cheaper, and looks just as nice. Thanks!

$40 is $40. The 1600 with the good USB remote runs right at $100 and won't do anything the Asus won't do.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout /forum/post/18274359

I'd have to say that it all depends on your situation. I live in between two relatively large markets (Baltimore and DC) and the broadcast towers from each area are almost 180 degrees apart from each other. Stations from each market are broadcast on both UHF and VHF. I have two directional VHF/UHF antennas pointed in opposite directions to pick up locals from each market.

Unfortunately, the towers in DC are spread more widely apart than the ones in Baltimore so I'm not able to aim the antenna in such a way as to pick up every DC station. The good news is that I have duplicate stations for all six network affiliates (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, multiple PBS channels, and the CW) so I can get all the OTA programming I want. I combine the output of the two antennas using a standard VHF/UHF splitter/combiner and get a perfect signal on every station within view of the antennas with zero multipath distortion.

FWIW, the antennas I chose were based on recommendations from SolidSignal and results from antennaweb.org.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Buy an leadtek tuner, why?

image is good, support is good, work with mce, sage, christv, mce, kmplayer, etc.

They update drivers even for tuners maked in 2002 or so.

Imagine that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts