1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie  /t/1520299/interconnect-cables#post_24422082

Quote:
Originally Posted by realife3  /t/1520299/interconnect-cables#post_24422043

I have an old set of monster components cable, wanted to know, can they be use as interconnect cables on my amp?

Yes, no problem at all.

+1

I picked up some closeouts on component video cables, which I have been cutting up and using for making audio cables with nonstandard ends such as banana plugs (for test equipment) and XLR connectors for interfacing with pro audio gear. The connectors are standard RCAs and the cable is coaxial RF cable which while a bit stiffer and larger in diameter the regular audio cable sounds just fine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1520299/interconnect-cables#post_24423542

+1

I picked up some closeouts on component video cables, which I have been cutting up and using for making audio cables with nonstandard ends such as banana plugs (for test equipment) and XLR connectors for interfacing with pro audio gear. The connectors are standard RCAs and the cable is coaxial RF cable which while a bit stiffer and larger in diameter the regular audio cable sounds just fine.

Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I should mention that while it is perfectly OK to use RCA video cables for audio, it is not a good idea to use analog audio cables for video. At 6 feet or less you may not see a difference but there could be some detail loss as well as ringing introduced by mismatched video cables.

And coax SPDIF cables should be video cables as well. Again a six foot analog audio cable will probably work OK for SPDIF but to do it right, always use video cables for SPDIF.

And of course, Radio Shack and monoprice.com cables are fine. No need to spend more than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts