AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me post the photo of the "new" Leeza look. WOW!! Much thanks to JLM who designed and created this masterpiece. I had nothing to do with it, he is the genius. He may be willing to manufacture them for present Leeza owners looking for a cosmetic upgrade. The guys from Leeza loved it and are in discussions with him to offer the faceplates as an option in the near future. DON'T bother the Key Digital guys! If they decide to offer it we will let you know. In the meantime, ask JLM any questions you have, he is extremly kind and generous with his time and I cannot thank him enough. Please post your comments, I am curious if you guys think it looks as awesome as I do.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
As I stated in a previous post, I'm not really a big fan of shiny and reflective components, especially if they are going to be on the front wall near the viewing area. However, for those who want this "vanity plate" front cover, they should be very thankful to JLM. And as well, JLM should be very proud of his front panel option as well. You can tell that he indeed put some serious effort in on his part and should be commended for offering the option.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
regarding the panel:

what you see is one of two prototypes, both were produced in a bright finish with slightly different lettering. After showing these to Key, we finalized the lettering. the next step will be to produce a couple more production prototypes with thoses changes; one will be clear aluminum (like EAD), one will be black anodized (Dman), one will be dark grey anodized (like the old Krell). It is possible that Key will offer the choice of the bright or the dark as a purchase option.

As far as present owners, if there is an interest, i can produce replacement panels, shiny or dark, with the new lettering scheme for home installation; Key has agreed to maintain the warranty should anyone use one of these panels. let's see if any interest develops.

Details:

machined on all surfaces from 3/8" aluminum plate, radiused on exterior edges; front surface shows a circular machining pattern which catches light similar to a fresnel lens; we have hidden the non-functioning original panel components (one LED, two buttons), recessed and partially masked the LED's to let them just peek out and detailed the power button. Lettering is engraved and paint filled. the bright panels have black lettering, the dark panels have silver. Install requires removing the top cover, unbolting the existing panel from the interior (six 4-40 nuts) and replacing it with the new panel, using the same nuts. one of the nuts requires patience to access; allow about 20 minutes to change panels. when i get a chance, i'll post a detail photo; in particular, the LED and switch treatment is unique.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Jlm,

DMan has a point. If it's too shiny it can become a mirror, which is not that great for equipment sitting in front of the viewer (i.e., non rack).

In such a case, you might want to have the unit brushed, so that it's not quite as mirror-like as a completely smooth reflective surface.

Ofer.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
quoting myself: "one will be clear aluminum (like EAD), one will be black anodized (Dman), one will be dark grey anodized (like the old Krell). It is possible that Key will offer the choice of the bright or the dark as a purchase option."

part of what makes this possible to afford is to provide not too many options. My guess is that bright and dark are enough.

the main points about the Leeza that have been addressed are the quality of the faceplate, elimination of obslete buttons and LED's, providing a bright/dark option and reducing the fan noise. fait accompli.

Worst case, Eric and I have a couple of fine units.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Hi Jlm,

I'm talking about the bright one. Won't it look better brushed?

If it's dark, it doesn't reflect light as much, so my question becomes irrelevant for the dark option.

You're right, 2 options are more than enough.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
JLM,

Your offering of a bright and dark finish should more than satisfy everyone. Again, my hat's off to you for your incredibly fine work!!

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to thank Mike and Mike of KD for going way above the call of duty by coming to my home and personally upgrading my and JLM's power supplies. Never before have I had a company been so responsive, helpful and concerned with their customers issues. Now that the unit is silent, I keep it running 24/7 no need to turn it off. After dealing with big companies like faroudja and getting the runaround, it is refreshing to call a company, leave a message and have the President personally address any questions and concerns. I only hope that KD doesn't become so big as to lose this personal touch, it is a pleasure.

The faceplate that JLM made is not reflective at all, it is "brushed", in a sense, with a swirl pattern. It is not polished. I also have a chromed out Burmester piece, no reflections from that either. Also, the new faceplate reduces the led outputs to a great degree. The original faceplate had "bulbs" sticking out of the unit making the lights very bright and obvious during movies, with no way to dim or darken the front panel. The new panel has the bulbs recessed in the faceplate with a smaller hole, reducing the brightness and light output. It is clearly visible and viewable, just not overly so. One other feature is the fact that any buttons or LED's that served no useful purpose have been "buried". The channel up/down buttons did nothing so, rather than display them and clutter up the faceplate, JLM recessed them behind the panel. What's so brilliant about it is that if the buttons ever get programmed to do anything, JLM could just open up the faceplate hole and the buttons will be present. Otherwise, they just stay covered by the panel, but are still present on the unit. I just cannot get over how much of a difference a faceplate can make from both an operational point of view, as well as a cosmetic one.

JLM thanks again for everything, you made me happy:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.