AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I wonder how long that document and this thread will exist? Probably not very long...

·
Registered
886 Posts
I am disappointed that someone has already broken the NDA agreement! It reflects badly on this forum when Replay was trying to be nice to us and provide us with an early preview to their software.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joesc1
I am disappointed that someone has already broken the NDA agreement! It reflects badly on this forum when Replay was trying to be nice to us and provide us with an early preview to their software.
doesn't look like NDA breaking to me, looks like someone noticed this file when they were browsing though sonicblue's ftp site...it was uploaded on April 16th so it took almost 10 days for someone to stumble across it

(and no, it wasn't me - although i'm curious who "Riggo" really is)

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Doubtful, since they RIF'd the person that was handling the NDA's

and that whole thing was on hold per SonicRichard's post. It's probably

just what LB said.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
I don't think anyone broke a NDA. That file is on SonicBlue's own FTP server in a public directory where the original RTV 5xxx series user guides have been available in .pdf form for a long time IIRC. At least now, SB may be made aware of the issue and remove the file if it shouldn't be there yet.

I still think (and hope) that any AVS forum members chosen to preview the new software will stick to their NDA.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
I don't think anyone broke a NDA. That file is on SonicBlue's own FTP server in a public directory where the original RTV 5xxx series user guides have been available in .pdf form for a long time IIRC....
I agree. Any nda I've ever seen always has an exception for information that is already public, and this info is certainly public -- I was able to navigate their directly from www.sonicblue.com. Looks to me like SB wanted this to be public (did they check in with D&M?). (For those of you who don't want to hunt, a direct link is here: ftp://ftp.sonicblue.com/pub/ReplayTV....0Addendum.pdf

Anyway, back to the original point of the post, the features the addendum covers do look great. Conflict management is improved; you can select 'record only first run episodes'; and they are ditching the guaranteed/nonguaranteed distinction that so confused new users. And I love the idea that you can immediatlely resolve a conflict by selecting to record on another replay on the network. In addition, if you start watching a show on one replay you can move to another and pick up where you left off.

Wonder how long it will be before this version gets pushed (and how much the 'reorganization' that sonicrichard mentioned yesterday will slow things up).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Smells like the final act of an axed employee to me.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I read through the document and it seems interesting. I like the idea of fanning out recordings if there are conflicts. However, I wonder if this will work across the 4k/5k boundary? I hope so, since I have a 4320, but I'm interested in a 5k. I have held off since they would not work together.

It also appears that they are cleaning up the UI. I wonder how far this is going. Currently it seems that there are too many different menu types and there is no way to clean up the channel guides (e.g. minimize multiple episodes under one Replay channel or favorite lists under the channel guide). And the annoying looking reboot coming, recording is starting, or return to paused TV banners are inconsistent with other aspects of the UI.

In terms of intelligence, there is no indication that there is any improvements. For example, if I ask to keep 5 shows and I have 5 already. The next recording shouldn't delete the 5th if room exists, however, a message should be generated letting me know that I'm over my limit. The listed changes in the document only state that the show that will be deleted is highlighted in the Replay guide.

I'm hopeful that there will be continual improvements, but in the past new features/improvements were few and far between.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amazingly Smooth
...I like the idea of fanning out recordings if there are conflicts. However, I wonder if this will work across the 4k/5k boundary?...
I thought the real point of 5.0 is that it will move the 4xxx and 5xxx onto the same software, so that you will be able to stream between them -- that was the software that we were supposed to get by the end of the first quarter, and I guess that a few months late isn't too surprising given the changes at replay! If that's right, then why do you ask whether that particular feature will work across the 4k/5k boundary? There will no longer be any 4k/5k boundary.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
No one from RTV said that 5.0 would allow 4k's and 5k's to talk. They did say a new software version would to it, but no one has said that 5.0 is it. Plus the document posted doesn't show a 4k or even talk about a 4k--only the 5k is shown on the front page. Do you know something I don't?

Cheers

·
Registered
790 Posts
HOT DOG!!!The hive mind is in manual mode!!!

:) :) :)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Looks interesting - the guaranteed/non-guaranteed is so ingrained in my head it's going to take a little while to switch over. At least the first-run option give Dr(very)Strange one less thing to crow over.

From the .pdf file it looks like there wont' be a to-do list and/or the only feature I really want: I want to know when two pre-exisiting shows come into conflict because of a schedule change. In the past I would have said two guaranteed shows, but I guess that word no longer applies.

With the networks supersizing shows and moving them all around the schedule I want my Replay to say "Hey guess what, this Wednesday I'm supposed to record Ed & Survivor at the same time - what would like me to do?"

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amazingly Smooth
No one from RTV said that 5.0 would allow 4k's and 5k's to talk. They did say a new software version would to it, but no one has said that 5.0 is it. Plus the document posted doesn't show a 4k or even talk about a 4k--only the 5k is shown on the front page. Do you know something I don't?

Cheers
I don't know anything you don't know. I did read in this forum a number of places that the update we just got on our 5040s was just a glitch fixer and that the real update that would allow streaming between 4xxx and 5xxx units would be in a bigger release that would be called 5.0 But you're correct that that is not official so maybe it's incorrect. Certainly we had an official assertion that we would have 4xxx-5xxx streaming by the end of the first quarter, so it makes sense that this one will do it.

I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
I don't know anything you don't know. I did read in this forum a number of places that the update we just got on our 5040s was just a glitch fixer
What "just got" update?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghoul
What "just got" update?
There is an interim bug fix for 5040s that started going out last week. I got mine last night. (In order to avoid overwhelming the servers, they are staggering the upload depending on your unit's serial number.)

If you want to see if you've received it yet, hit 411 zones and check out what build you've got. The new build is sometime in April 2003 (with a build number that ends in 350).

Fixes the flashing problem and, according to some, makes channel surfing a bit faster. I don't know what other fixes are in there. (Specifically, I don't know if CA has been improved to work as well as it does in the 4xxx units.

Edit -- here is the other thread about that bug fix: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=bug+fix

Note that there seems to be some uncertainty about whether the flashing is really fixed.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Conflict management is improved; you can select 'record only first run episodes'; and they are ditching the guaranteed/nonguaranteed distinction that so confused new users.
I read over the addendum .pdf and I don't know if it's just me, but it

doesn't sound like they got rid of the guaranteed/nonguaranteed,

just renamed them (in terms of space priorities). For example:

Single Show:

Guaranteed->Keep until: I delete

Non-Guaranteed->Keep until: space needed

Repeating Show:

Guaranteed->Delete oldest: Only for new episode

Non-Guaranteed->Delete oldest: If space needed

The additional options seems to be in conflict priorities, where you now

have the following choices:

1) Schedule new recording anyway

2) Record shows that don't conflict

3) Schedule on another ReplayTV

2 is the same as before (at least they don't provide the details of

how they resolve "shows that don't conflict") so I'm guessing it is

the same as before (where Delete oldest: Only for new episode

will have priority over Delete Oldest: If space needed)

1 seems to make the show appear as Guaranteed/Delete oldest: Only

for new episode, and changes the "created" time to be earlier than

existing shows (at least that is how I would have to do it manually

using the current 4.5 software)

3 is brand new option where currently I'd run upstairs and program

the other replay.

That sounds like mostly the same semantics to me (maybe some

minute differences) which are renamed to be less confusing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the keep until I delete is a little different.

Before the space was reserved on the HD if there was a show or not. But, with this, I imagine it won't reserve the space until the show comes on.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Good point, I didn't notice that, mainly because I hardly ever look

at free space due to large HD :)

Either they made the decision that "Delete oldest: Only for new episode"

would not always be able to follow it's semantics, or the free space change

is mostly display/cosmetic and the semantics are mostly the same.

For example, what happens if you have 40gb drive with 10 x shows

Quality: standard

Keep: 6 episodes

Delete oldest: Only for new episode

Assuming you don't delete shows every show plays every week, once

you reach the 5th episode, some show needs to be deleted, so you

won't really be able to keep 6 episodes. They can internally change

your "Keep: 6 episodes" into "Keep: 4 episodes" and/or they can inform

you when you create the show recording that even though we tell you

40 hours are available, we cannot really keep the number of episodes

you want to keep.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts