AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Because all the light is coming from the display chip, there's not a separate light source supplying thousands of lumens.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An LCD display with a backlight has many similarities to an LCD projector. It seems to me having a 4th panel with no color filter would be analogous to what they're discussing regarding white pixels. The concept of having different resolution panels for the different colors along with a white luma-only addition could be valuable for improving performance and reducing cost. Sure, if cost is no object, and heat is no problem, use full resolution RGB panels with a high output lamp, but as indicated in the article, that doesn't take advantage of how our eye and brain work. What I find fascinating is how the actual operation of our vision is now becoming much more fully understood. If they have valid theory for increasing image quality at a given price, seems like a good thing to me.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, and it also sounds like these techniques would really minimize or elimate SDE as we know it.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.