AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching the LCD vs Plasma thing for over a year I had thought LCD was for me, didn't want to deal with IR or burn in and I don't have light control either so it seemed LCD for me. Well my wife saw some traits in LCD that she couldn't look past and we pulled the trigger on the Pani 800U in 50", great set, love the pic and been really happy. Now the interesting part, for the first week we simply watched TV as regular, few Blu movies and programming all zoomed in on full image so we have no black bars. Yesterday afternoon I decided I would try a break in DVD to speed up the process and help me get to playing games so I burned a disk at noon and took in home at about 5 and started it running. We left with it running and when we returned home at about 10 we popped in cloverfield for a little while. Now this set is using THX setting with the brightness sucked down slightly and we have around 50 hours on it total at this point. Anyway the opening image of cloverfield has wording in the center of the screen something about the department of defence, and after that 5sec or so display I could read the department of defence in the center of the screen for about the next half hour. The question here is nothing like this had happened before I ran that break in disk for 5 hours, and now I am nervous about continuing on with it. Has anyone ever seen this before and am I wiser to just take my time with regular programming for break-in in the manner I had previously set out? any help is appreciated.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,928 Posts
While there is no real proof using the so-called break-in DVD either helps or harms a PDP, none of the professional ISF calibrators in this Forum recommend using this procedure or run the break-in DVD on their own displays.


I have invested more than $13,000 for two PDPs and would never artificially accelerate the phosphor aging process for my displays.


I guess being in the post-AARP
category results with a little more "patience" regarding these things.


Plasma Facts and Myths Panasonic Presents Advice From the Video Purist Perspective

BTW... where does it say in your owner's manual to use the break-in DVD with your new PDP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
Just my personal opinion (I have 3 plasmas ranging in age from 4+ years to 8 months) but I feel that the "break-in" dvd and other such obessive procedures are just a waste of time and electricity. I'm not going to laugh at people who insist on doing it...but I'm also not going to suggest it to anyone I know. The common sense approach you were using before is all you really need..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks tons for the input, I was leaning this way very strongly, but thought I would consult the guys in the know. It stands to reason and makes sense to me that the phosphors would age appropriatly with the dynamics of a real screen picture better than the static color changing of the break in DVD's. I will just wait for another week or two to fire up MGS4. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
optivity, have you even read that pdf you keep showing off from panasonic?


There's nothing in it that says the break-in dvd is a myth. In fact, it says that plasmas do benefit from a break-in period. While I realize this doesn't say to use the specific break-in dvd, there is also no specific statement that the break-in dvd is harmful. Heck, I'd feel more comfortable letting the break-in dvd run than taking the off chance that some stupid network logo gets burned in [pretty much every channel has them].


Finally, is your sole pleasure in life getting on here and disagreeing with pretty much what anybody says?


Oh and by the way, I've talked to other ISF calibrators on this forum, and while none of them recommend the DVD, none of them think it's bad either. I'd guess most of them don't want to endorse anything in case something screws up if you leave it unattended.


On a side note 8balla, did you change any settings before running the break-in? If you changed the settings before and then left them for the movie, that could have possible caused a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
You would think that plasma manufacturers would have tested to find out if break-in DVD's help or not - or at least find out if they are bad for the screens (can't see how they would). Maybe they would have to kill us if we knew the truth...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/14197438


Just my personal opinion (I have 3 plasmas ranging in age from 4+ years to 8 months) but I feel that the "break-in" dvd and other such obessive procedures are just a waste of time and electricity. I'm not going to laugh at people who insist on doing it...but I'm also not going to suggest it to anyone I know. The common sense approach you were using before is all you really need..

What he said. Ive had a Panny plasma and now have a Pioneer and did nothing special except limit gaming and 2.35:1 anamorphic movies for the first week. Never a hint of an issue on either panel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/14197438


Just my personal opinion (I have 3 plasmas ranging in age from 4+ years to 8 months) but I feel that the "break-in" dvd and other such obessive procedures are just a waste of time and electricity. I'm not going to laugh at people who insist on doing it...but I'm also not going to suggest it to anyone I know. The common sense approach you were using before is all you really need..

I did not use the break in dvd. But I did turn down the settings to Cinema, lowered contrast and brightness, and zoomed all 4:3 programming to fill the screen for the first couple months. I still do all that, but I have contrast a little higher and sometimes I watch widescreen movies with black bars and don't zoom.


Take care of your investment as best you can. Don't abuse it and you will be okay. I noticed my picture improved on 2 different plasmas after about 2-3 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8balla /forum/post/14198363


It stands to reason and makes sense to me that the phosphors would age appropriatly with the dynamics of a real screen picture better than the static color changing of the break in DVD's.

I'm not exactly sure how this can be. PDP pixels are broked up into 3 sub-pixels...1 Red, 1 Green, and 1 Blue. Normal "dynamic content" would age the center of the screen phosphors faster than the edges as most of the "action" is focused in the center of the screen(primary reason why one should avoid logos during the break-in period as they are off to the side). The break-in DVD is comprised of full screen solid colors which will evenly and equally age each pixel/sub-pixel.


It's ok if you chose not to use the break-in DVD as it's always been optional. However, to say "phosphors would age appropriatly with the dynamics of a real screen picture" is very much a false statement.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,928 Posts
Why don't any of the professional calibrators who participate in this Forum go on record supporting the use of the break-in DVD?



Where in the owner's manual does Pioneer instruct its PDP owners to use the break-in DVD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/14204023



Where in the owner's manual does Pioneer instruct its PDP owners to use the break-in DVD?

It doesnt, at least I didnt see it anywhere in my 5080HD manual.


I didnt run any break-in DVDs, I started playing games & watching movies from day 1 with the same video settings im using now. No problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I don't get it, it seems almost everybody here agrees with the rules of the plasma break-in period. So why are some people so adverse to the idea of a DVD that does the exact same thing? It's just a tool that allows one to easily break-in their new plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
I just think the break in DVD is a manifestation of unnecessary worrying. As someone who took a few precautions during the first couple of weeks, but basically just used the TV like a TV and has had absolutely no "plasma problems", the idea of going to the trouble of making a DVD and running a test pattern on my set for 100 or more hours seems silly.


D-Nice, I respect your knowledge but let's consider what you say in your last post: "However, to say "phosphors would age appropriatly with the dynamics of a real screen picture" is very much a false statement." Are you really asserting that normal TV usage will inappropriately age the phosphors? The implications of that would be astounding wouldn't they?


We get posts every week from people saying things like "I was thinking of buying a plasma but all these posts are making me nervous". The break in DVD, IMHO, unnecessarily feeds into that way of thinking.


jeff
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered by Soy /forum/post/14204197


I don't get it, it seems almost everybody here agrees with the rules of the plasma break-in period. So why are some people so adverse to the idea of a DVD that does the exact same thing? It's just a tool that allows one to easily break-in their new plasma.

"it seems almost everybody here... blindly... agrees"


Even I can agree with that.



Has Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung, Vizio
ever recommended using the break-in DVD?



Then why would you?



Just because someone who participates in this Forum, who you don't really know, told you to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp /forum/post/14204361


D-Nice, I respect your knowledge but let's consider what you say in your last post: "However, to say "phosphors would age appropriatly with the dynamics of a real screen picture" is very much a false statement." Are you really asserting that normal TV usage will inappropriately age the phosphors? The implications of that would be astounding wouldn't they?

Why is it astounding? It's common sense, IMO. Regular TV always has and always will unevenly wear phosphors over the entire screen. Take a plasma with a few thousand hours on it from "regular viewing" and spot chack the grayscale and luminance on different parts of the screen. If a plasma screen has dynamic content on it all the time, how in the world would the phosphors have even wear on it?


Nature of the beast
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues /forum/post/14204462


It's all a conspiracy so that the owner hopefully won't watch the tv for the first 30 days

Now that makes sense!



Wait until after the return/exchange period has expired before watching your new PDP.
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top