AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a home theater system built around a Pioneer SC-1222-K receiver. A friend of mine who is into much higher-end audio than me offered me (for free!) his Denon AVR-4810CI, which he recently replaced.

The Denon, I know, is a much higher-end receiver, originally retailing I think for around $3,000, whereas the Pioneer retailed for $1,100 and I bought from Newegg for around $600. The Denon is also a Class AB receiver, while the Pioneer is a Class D receiver. (My friend definitely prefers, as I think do most audiophiles, the big, heavy, Class AB approach.)

The Pioneer is currently driving JBL ES speakers (two ES80 towers, ES25C center, ES10 surrounds, and an ES250 sub). It has served me well, and has the right mix of modern features for my set-up, including built-in Airplay. I have a blu-ray player, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Xbox 360 connected to the system.

So here's my question --

The Denon would win most every comparison hands-down, I expect ... Audyssey MultiEQ vs. MCACC, 140 vs 110 watts per channel, 9.3 vs. 7.2 channel, etc. ... but ...

... I believe the Denon first came out in 2010, while the Pioneer came out in 2012. I know one feature I'll be missing is built-in Airplay (not a deal-killer, but nice for second room speakers; I've found that most receivers can't take audio from HDMI sources like the Apple TV for second room) ...

Any other issues that I should expect to see?

I'm a little hesitant to take my whole system apart, which is working well, only to run into some issue that I didn't anticipate when trying to sub in an older receiver. On the other hand, the Denon is a great piece of equipment and I think I'd probably be foolish to turn down the chance for such a substantial upgrade. (If I do go with the Denon, I will probably add a couple more ES10 speakers for front height channels.)

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No thoughts on this?

Generally on a 2012 vs 2010 receiver?

Difference in HDMI versions? (I can't remember if they are different, but I think so?)

Class D3 vs. Class AB (especially for these speakers)?

Audyssey vs. MCACC?

Denon app control vs. Pioneer app control? (The Pioneer iOS app was quirky for years, but now works fairly well...)

Also, my friend gave me an Odyssey Stratos 2 x 150 Watts amplifier, which I may use to power the front L and R channels with either the Denon or the Pioneer. Happy to have comments on that as part of the set-up as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts