AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest for knowledge (because knowledge=power and all...) I came across this youtuber with a pretty intriguing DIY project:

He obviously has a great deal of technical knowledge to begin with, but he seems to be on the track towards really making this a fun project for those without $25,000.

Thoughts on his progress so far?

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
to be continued obviously
and hopefully under better controlled and more unlimited bandwidth conditions, post some graphs etc.

iirc Big Daddy, either over at HTS or Audioholics has a few things to say about HIS rotary subs,
at least I recall those discussions from 3-4 yers ago, haven't checked lately myself

aslo, there is a "slo moton rotary sub diy thread here at AVS , somewhere . .

get that man to post here

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
That guy has a very funny dry sense of humor and an awesome voice.

Probably could have edited the video down to 15 minutes.

Can't deny his Ingenuity. Inspiring to say the least. Hopefully he doesn't kill himself with that thing.

Love this kind of stuff!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello guys :) it is I that created the sub :)
I'm yet to upload another video as it has changed slightly since then (added reinforcement to propellers and removed rattle)
Thanks for joining us over here. We'd love to see more of your progress in a step by step fashion! Maybe the hive-mind can perfect the $25,000 holy grail!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for joining us over here. We'd love to see more of your progress in a step by step fashion! Maybe the hive-mind can perfect the $25,000 holy grail!
Haha the video is a step by step. I'll admit though that bits are missing that are needed. I will do a guide, but it'll take around a week or two because I'm in the process of moving homes

·
Registered
973 Posts
What, exactly, is a rotary sub and how is it better than a typical sealed or ported sub(s)? Sorry, I know that I could either search or Google, but I am lazy and don't have much time. Lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A Google search would really help just from an image standpoint. Picture a fan with giant blades and variable blade pitch. The variation in pitch changes the compression generated by the fan. This creates the pulse/compression for the bass

Rotary subwoofers can hit frequencies of 1hz with significant output. Low wattage and astronomical bass potential compared to classical subwoofer design.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hmm

Wonder why someone couldn't possibly base the rotary aspects on the rotor head from an R/C helicopter, e.g,:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCRXX&P=SM

While that example is quite small, there are some very muscular R/C helicopter designs on the market which could absorb several horsepower without breaking a sweat.

RC motor doesnt have enough torque. thats why i have a half horsepower motor to keep the speed consistant

·
Registered
141 Posts
well if you watch the video, you will find that it is biased on using a helicopter rotor.. infact the whole front end is from a 450 t-rex 5 blade flybarless rotor kit
Apologies to you, Chris- I didn't have the time to watch the video end-for-end, and missed that aspect as I skipped through to see the performance. .

1 - 20 of 316 Posts