AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had an interesting thought that may have been discussed already. Someone show me where it's been done before if it has.

Consider this:

Screenplay 7200 MSRP = $10k

NEC HT1000 MSRP = $4.3K

So, you could get two HT1000's for the price of a 7200, right? Maybe...

What if you used DUAL HT1000's side-by-side for a constant-height display? Think about it:

The 7200 will display a 2.35:1 image at 1280 x 544.

A dual HT1000 will display it at 1804 x 768.

Setup of projectors / screen shouldn't be hard at all, short of some precision alignment of images.

Obvious challenge would be how to "feed" half of an image to each projector.

If noone's ever tried this yet, I'd be very surprised. I'd love to hear from someone who has done this successfully.

Steve

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
it would be almost impossible, given manufacturing differences and blub-aging, to get the 2 halves to match well enough to satisfy a critical viewer (it would be obvious that it was "2 halves" unless you *really* got lucky).

CRT stacking worked well bcs you were stacking and overlapping the 2 images to acheive double brightness.

I don't think your idea is a bad one...and if someone could pull it off it would be cool. It's just that it would be VERY hard to really get a "seamless" image that looked coherent enough on both sides to satisfy a critical HT viewer.

Better to wait for SXRD... :p

-dave

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QQQ - that's what I figured. Thanks for the link. I really need to learn how to use the AVS "search" function better.

Chris - LOL! good one.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.