Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this interesting information on Wikipedia:

Quote:
Lucas has hinted in the past that he will release his definitive (often called "archival") editions of all six of his Star Wars films on a next-generation home-video format in 2007. This release would coincide with the 30th anniversary of the Star Wars saga. It has been speculated that he will take this opportunity to make any final adjustments, changes, additions, and/or subtractions to his films for this final release. An altered clip from The Phantom Menace included in a featurette on the DVD release of Revenge of the Sith (in which a computer generated Yoda replaces the original puppet) appears to be a sign that the "archival" editions are indeed in the works.

It is said that this edition will be released in a "Grand Saga" box set. Lucasfilm Vice President of Marketing Jim Ward confirmed that in this final release, Lucasfilm is likely to return to John Lowry to do even more work on the films (possibly digital contemporization of the original trilogy). He says, "As the technology evolves and we get into a high-definition platform that is easily consumable by our customers, the situation is much better, but there will always be work to be done."[9]

Producer Rick McCallum has also explained that Lucasfilm has been holding back a large amount of bonus material for this release, including deleted scenes, as well as numerous previous Star Wars "making-ofs," spin-offs, television specials, documentaries, and other special material.

There has been much hope for another Star Wars trilogy but George Lucas has said that there are no plans for episodes 7, 8, and 9.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I think we'd all love to see Star Wars released in 2007, but I personally have serious doubts about that. I will say that if it does release exclusively on blu-ray( as expected) this would certainly play a decisive role in the format war.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just my opinion here, but based on the OP's wikipedia post and based on what I've read before, I think we may see the Blu-ray release of the Star Wars definitive saga later this year, coinciding with the 30th anniversary of the release of the original Star Wars movie. Just because GL has held out before on releasing his movies on various video mediums doesn't necessarily mean the same will follow suit for High Def. You have to remember, the original trilogy has already been cleaned up and remastered by Lowry, and all 6 movies were recently broadcast on Cinemax HD in High Definition. I'm feeling very strongly that the force is with Star Wars in High Definition...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Wake me up when there's a legitimate Lucasfilm "event" where they officially announce a date...

Until then, this series, along with all of the other usual suspects from Lucas (Indy Jones) & Spielberg (Jurassic Park, Jaws, etc) are a pipe dream. Look at how long we waited for the DVDs...

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 /forum/post/0

Wake me up when there's a legitimate Lucasfilm "event" where they officially announce a date...

Until then, this series, along with all of the other usual suspects from Lucas (Indy Jones) & Spielberg (Jurassic Park, Jaws, etc) are a pipe dream. Look at how long we waited for the DVDs...

But again, the Indiana Jones series and the Star Wars movies all had to be restored and remastered before the studios were comfortable releasing any of them on DVD. Now that all of these movies are remastered in High Definition, the masters are just sitting there ready to be encoded onto whatever HD optical medium they choose. I think we will see at least some of these movies sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'd love to see Star Wars come out on BD this year, but given how long it took to get it on DVD, I'll bet it'll take much longer to happen.

But after reading that excerpt, I've got to make a comment:

He's actually replacing the puppet Yoda in The Phantom Menace? You've got to be kidding me. That's overkill. In Episodes II and III it's understandable because Yoda does stunts, but if you got away with a physical puppet then let it be. Even with the added dexterity and facial expressions, the CGI just isn't as convincing as something that was actually there on the set.

Sorry for the rant, I had to get that off my chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

I wonder if this final version will finally settle on the question if Han Solo fired first.

You mean Han Solo fired. Period.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

I wonder if this final version will finally settle on the question if Han Solo fired first.

I grew up watching a Star Wars movie where Han Solo fired first. I thought it was stupid George Lucas changing the scene to Guido firing first and missing then Han Solo firing. Han Solo wouldn't have lasted very long in the Star Wars universe if he allow others to fire first. It's like Stephen Spielberg changing the scene in E.T. to have the agents holding radios instead of shotguns. At least we are safe knowing that the current generation will not be as corrupted as mine.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I think that something big will be on the horizon for the 30th anniversary of the original Star Wars.

No facts, just hoping.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
This seems like the moment. But by the same token, The DVDs only came out 2 years ago, when DVD was widely adopted, to release now may be to early. Though this would surely increase HD adoption. I kinda think it would be hasty to release it so quick.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson /forum/post/0

I think that something big will be on the horizon for the 30th anniversary of the original Star Wars.

No facts, just hoping.

I'd like to think that something will happen for the thirtieth anniversary (hey, they made a huge deal out of the twentieth) but for that something to be a Blu-ray release almost seems too good to be true.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong!

·
Registered
118 Posts
There will be an 30th Anniversary Set coming out this year...but it'll be on DVD. Don't hold your breathe on Star Wars making it to the HD market. If it ever happens, it'll be years from now. Bet on it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwisniski /forum/post/0

But again, the Indiana Jones series and the Star Wars movies all had to be restored and remastered before the studios were comfortable releasing any of them on DVD. Now that all of these movies are remastered in High Definition, the masters are just sitting there ready to be encoded onto whatever HD optical medium they choose. I think we will see at least some of these movies sooner than later.

Yes, but didn't Sony do the same thing over the last 5 years or so in preparation for BD releases? And they are now finding out that a lot of the "high definition" masters they did aren't up to snuff.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'd be surprised if Lucas gets them out in 2007. I have a feeling he'll be touching up a lot of FX (Rancor in ROTJ for example). The TPM muppet Yoda looks awful, and I'll be so glad when it is gone.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Lucas won't get a dime out of me until he stops mucking around with his movies and release the originals as shown in the theater. As far as I'm concerned, Han Solo firing first is the definitive moment for his character. Seeing the new version just ticks me off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10th St. /forum/post/0

Lucas won't get a dime out of me until he stops mucking around with his movies and release the originals as shown in the theater. As far as I'm concerned, Han Solo firing first is the definitive moment for his character. Seeing the new version just ticks me off.

I agree, it was one of my favourite scenes in Star Wars. Hopefully George will return the scene to how it was originally.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.