AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The end result of copying a friend's ten-year-old wedding video to DVD-R was quite impressive. Of course any die-hard video zealot will tell you that their simply is no way that a copy can be "better" than the actual source. But the truth of the matter is quite a paradox; the DVD-R IS definitely more pleasing to the eye than the original VHS tape.

In fact, my friend was so pleased with the results, he requested a VHS copy for his parents. This was when I discovered a startling revelation about the E-20:

While proofing the VHS copy, which I recorderd from the DVD-R, I noticed during certain scenes that the picture began breaking up into "digital blocks" . I marked down the problem scenes and checked the original DVD-R; the problem was present at the same scenes. I assumed I simply missed these enigmas the first time I scanned through the original, and figured it was another batch of bad DVD-R blanks. The blanks were from Meritline, but I never had a problem with them before now. After ruminating for a minute or two, I threw the original DVD-R into my Daewoo 3000 and--to my surprise--the disc played all the way through without any problems. I inserted the same disc into the RP-91 and it also played perfectly well.

I decided to burn another original on the E-20 using a Vivistar blank, and the problem did not show up during playback. I'm drawn to the conclusion that the E-20 is quirky during playback with certain brands of discs even though it recorded them properly. Weird!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'd say its the media. Recordings I've made on cheap media(meritline, cdrecordablie, dvdpro, etc) have these type of issues. Playback in most players are fine but put it in a PC to make an ISO image to archive and you'll see all kinds of errors, a lot of them uncorrectable. I NEVER have this problem with quality name brand media (ie. memorex or apple).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.