AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live about 10 miles away from the majority of stations, and have been using Silver Sensor indoor antenna for my HD receptions. There have been two major problems with this setup.

1. Signal Dropout - this is especially bad during the day and really drives me nuts. The signal comes on strong but every minute or so, I lose the picture for 5 sec or so.

2. Antenna Placement - for certain channels, position A works best. For other channels, position B works best. I have to constantly change positions to get the best possible picture (with fewer dropouts).

I've tried getting amplifiers, and a couple of other antennas, but they haven't help me much. I thought about installing a roof top antenna, but I figured I would get cable as soon as they have local channels, so I've been hesitant.

Last night, on a whim, I connected a second antenna to my setup. I place the Silver Sensor on position A, and positioned a Terk indoor antenna in position B. I connected both antenna to the single antenna input (using a signal combiner) to my HD tuner.

I was really surprised at how much better my reception was. Dropouts are gone and I can see all my channels all at once. I didn't think this would work since the slight shift in phase from two antennas would hurt more than help, but was I surprised.

Has anyone else tried combining two antennas before?

Gameboy

·
Registered
842 Posts
You have just built a poor mans phased array. Done correctly

directionallity increases 3 to 6 db, side lobes go down by an equal

amount. Trouble is the distance between the 2 antenna's end

up being optimal for only a small range of frequencys...

For strong signal conditions like yours, this may work well especially

if you can find the optimum condition and then bolt the antenna's down.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
gameboy

I use a similar setup the difference being I use two Silver Sensors two 8 ft RG6 cables and a high gain (30db) preamp. I have had excellent results at picking up signals from long distances.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.