AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some folks might find this topic interesting on two fronts: Local pricing of the Marantz DLP, and Sony 11WT LCD units, as well as a CRT, LCD, and DLP shootout all rolled into one post!

Here's the deal: I visited AVAC in Akihabara this afternoon on a whim. I wanted to check out pricing of various DLP and LCD units. The current price of the Marantz unit was 718,000 Yen ($5744), and the Sony 11HT was 488,00 ($3904). About what I thought.

Here's what was cool: They had these two units side by side , along with my current CRT projector, the Sony D50Q-HTU.

The room had good light control, the units were firing on 100" screens, and they were using a Japanese HDTV feed of some sort. Disclaimer: I have no idea how these units were calibrated. I was sitting about 12 feet from the screen. Here in a nutshell is what I saw:

1) My CRT unit was as expected, excellent in overall picture quality. The picture was a tiny bit side on the soft side, but color, black level, etc. was excellent.

2) The Marantz looked even better than when I saw it 3 months ago in Philly. Although the picture was a tad bit light on color, it was very sharp, with no noticable artifacts on any kind (including flickering). What was really cool is that from 12 feet there was NO trace of line structure, NO trace of rainbow effect. And get this; the unit had the faroudja DCDI logo on it, although it was smaller and different than what I saw in the states. Overall, I REALLY wanted to take this baby home with me tomorrow morning!

3) The Sony also looked very good in all respects, and in some ways was a match (or near match with the Marantz). But here's the key difference: I saw noticable pixel structure that I would find distracting. Perhaps by reducing the size of the picture or sitting father away would cure this. Still, for under 4 grand this was a supurb picture, the best LCD picture I've ever seen.

In summary, this was a fun hour! The Japanese store owners were friendly and very honest about the pros/cons of buying here.

If any of you get the chance to come here, plan to spene some quality time at this place!

Brian.

·
Premium Member
24,820 Posts
Very interesting.

I'm surprised the Sony didn't fall down on black levels; were there no dim scenes in the material you saw?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the 30 or minutes of material that I saw, black levels were not really an issue for me. I think that some folks might be more bothered by this, however I was not. As I said before, if the presense of pixels could be eliminated (by either shrinking the picture slightly or sitting father away), the Sony picture was at least 95% as good as the Marantz.

The dilemna is, that regardless of any mitigating factors, the Marantz at this price range is a real bargain, and is an equal match for my Sony CRT.

I think that if U.S. prices for this or other models with similar performance get around the $5-$6K level, many folks may jump into a two-piece projection system.

Brian.

·
Registered
355 Posts
AVAC is an excellent place to view projectors side by side.

I was there three weeks ago and checked out the SHARP, Marantz and SONY at the same time with the same DVD playing.

This DVD had a lot of dark scenes so the black level and

contrast was important.

The SHARP and Marantz were far better than the SONY

when it comes to contrast and black level.

The SHARP was slightly better than the Marantz, but only slightly.

The SONY also has this irritating LCD screendoor, even from a distance.

The SHARP unit looked sharper than the Marantz. :)

The Marantz had more natural colors.

The SHARP can be bought for 550.000 JPY so the

price of the SONY is way off since the SHARP is

so much better.

I would buy one if I didn't know about HD2 .

///Magnus

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only other thing I would add to what Magnus said, is that I basically wrote off the Sharp 3 months ago for a basic reason: IMHO this unit has a fatal flaw; On U.S. HDTV, the Sharp's line processor has a 2 to 3 tenths delay when "locking in" to a change of scenes. This artifact was WAY annoying, although I did not see this effect on DVD material.

In my mind the better optics and internal video processing circuitry makes the extra money for the Marantz well worth it.

Brian.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Is there some way to buy direct to Japan other than the usual guys?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.