AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HT setup includes a new Bravia LCD TV, a Proceed AVP pre-amp, and a 5-channel Rotel amplifier. Since getting the TV last week, I've noticed something peculiar. Specifically, when I first power everything up the pre-amp will not respond very well to commands from the remote control. I either have to hold buttons down for a long time or use the controls on its faceplate. This behavior will disappear after a couple of minutes -- to be precise, after the TV has been on for a couple of minutes.

At first I thought maybe the TV is drawing a large amount of current at startup, and perhaps that was interfering with the preamp somehow. The total power consumption of all the components is probably around 1200W, so about 10 amps of current draw. However, this happens whether the amplifier is on or not, and it's the biggest power hog at about 800W. So what else could it be? Note that other components don't seem to be affected. The DVD player and cable box respond to remote control commands normally. I have a Marantz universal remote, but the problem occurs whether I use it or the pre-amp's own remote. Everything also works fine from startup if I don't turn the TV on.

Any theories welcome!

Sandeep

·
Super Moderator
21,332 Posts
this has been discussed a lot here lately:

LCD's emit a ton of IR noise from their backlights, particularly within a few minutes of turn on: the IR noise bounces off walls and is so strong remote controls appear to not work

I will try to find a link for you

·
Super Moderator
21,332 Posts
as a test, turn the LCD off then test the remote on other components to confirm that is the source of the problem

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried this out. Problem disappears if the TV is turned off. It also goes away after a few minutes on its own. It's just annoying those first few minutes, when you're most likely to be tweaking volume levels and such! Oh well.

Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin
as a test, turn the LCD off then test the remote on other components to confirm that is the source of the problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.