AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of switching over from AT&T Digital Cable to Direct TV. I'm planning on keeping the minnimum subscription to AT&T since my local channels aren't available from Direct TV.

I've run into some really weird interference. The DBS receivers work great with no problems until I plug in the Cable. When I add cable I get differient results from differient TV's. The worst is my Sony Trinitron 35" which receives white scrolling bars and a loud humb. As soon as the connection to AT&T is unplugged everything returns to perfect.

Prior to installing the DBS everything worked fine with no sign of any problems whatsoever. All of the cable from AT&T's box on the side of my house to TV's was replaced by them in May when I moved here to support Digital cable.

I'm about at wits end on this one, so any suggestions anyone might have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-tim

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Sounds like a grounding issue. Make sure the incoming sat lines and CATV lines are grounded at the same point as the main house. Make sure its a good connection. That would be my starting point. If you are not sure just call the CATV company and Sat installer to check.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the grounding for the Dish is fine. I haven't checked the AT&T cable yet. Now that I think about it, that wouldn't suprise me at all. I'll check the grounding out tomorrow.

The thing that I find most bizarre about this is that I have seen absolutely no issues until I added the DBS receiver into the mix. If I disconnect the DBS receiver from the dish I still have the problems.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I had something similiar a couple of years ago when ComCast took over my old Suburban Cable. Appartently they had jacked up whatever the Cable line voltage was (7 volts ?) and it was causing all sorts of strange things to happen.

A DC Block from radio Shack seemed to help ! They are cheap ($1 ?), so give it a try. Put it in on the main Cable line in, before all your equipment.

* I discovered this when trying to work out the problems. I found it the easy way - I saw sparks when connecting or disconnecting equipment. Ouch !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.