AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get to my questions here is my current HT setup.

SONY KDL-32XBR6 LCD TV

ONKYO TX-SR606 AVR

ENERGY TAKE SAT SPEAKER SYSTEM

ENERGY TAKE LCR (CENTER)

KLIPSCH RW10D SUB WOOFER

PIONEER DV-48AV SACD/DVD-A

TOSHIBA A30 HDDVD PLAYER

PANASONIC BD30K BLU-RAY PLAYER

XBOX 360 ELITE

SONY PS3 40GB

PANAMAX M-4300PM CONDITIONER

LOGITECH 550 UNIVERSAL REMOTE

MONSTER M SERIES HDMI CABLES

BELKIN PURE AV HDMI CABLE

MONSTER M SERIES SUB CABLE W/ Y ADAPTER

MONSTER 14 AWG TIME CORRECTION SPEAKER WIRE

MONSTER BANANA PLUG TERMIALS

MONOPRICE PREMIUM 6CHANNEL ANALOG CABLES

Z LINE DESiGN SPYDER TV STAND

RTA AVM-005B AUDIO RACK

Now I am wanting to get a more pure sound from my Two channel audio and SACD's I will be using the pioneer elite DV-48AV(plan on getting a turntable later) as my source and currently have it connected to my onkyo TX-SR606 via HDMI and 6 chan analog. The sound is fine on both SACD/DVD-A music but I was wondering if going with an integrated amplifier would do me any better. Would I use the integrated amp in conjunction with the Onkyo?? or run my components into it separately? Here are the ones I am looking at only because I have seen them recommended by some in other threads.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...35R.Kuro?tab=B

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=CA540AV2

I would like to stay between the 200-300 dollar range if possible. Any help or feed back I will appreciate. Thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts

Quote:
The sound is fine on both SACD/DVD-A music but I was wondering if going with an integrated amplifier would do me any better.

If you want to change/improve the sound of your system, change/improve the speakers.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
+1.

A different amp isn't going to make a difference unless your current amp is underpowered. I doubt yours is.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaz001 /forum/post/15430549

If you want to change/improve the sound of your system, change/improve the speakers.

I thought about doing so and upgrading the fronts to some bookshelf speakers but im not ready yet. Multichannel music sounds great but because of the size speakers im using for fronts once I switch to two channel there is an absence mids.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with the others, speakers first. No amp is going to make those little Energy speakers adequately cover everything over 100 Hz.

But, here's an option for you if you are looking for a budget 2-channel setup. A pair of really nice sounding bookshelf speakers AND a cute little integrated amp. For $299 total.

edit: that link didn't work............ go to www.********** , click on "specials", and then "Santa Sale ELT525M Mini Monitor with a Gizmo"

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky14 /forum/post/15431411

I agree with the others, speakers first. No amp is going to make those little Energy speakers adequately cover everything over 100 Hz.

But, here's an option for you if you are looking for a budget 2-channel setup. A pair of really nice sounding bookshelf speakers AND a cute little integrated amp. For $299 total.

edit: that link didn't work............ go to www.********** , click on "specials", and then "Santa Sale ELT525M Mini Monitor with a Gizmo"

Thanks Spark. That looks pretty cool. Ill read up on it a bit more after my move this weekend. Are you pretty familiar with those amps? That brand I mean. I have never heard of it b4. They look pretty neat. Maybe just right of what im trying to do.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
That amp looks kinda sketchy to me. Probably better just to buy the speakers (or another pair of speakers you like) and plug them into your AVR.

·
The Village Idiot
9,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15432223

That amp looks kinda sketchy to me. Probably better just to buy the speakers (or another pair of speakers you like) and plug them into your AVR.

+1

The 606 has enough power to drive all but the most demanding 8 ohm speakers no problem. The Energy speakers are the main limitation in his setup.

·
The Village Idiot
9,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdems83 /forum/post/15431078

I thought about doing so and upgrading the fronts to some bookshelf speakers but im not ready yet. Multichannel music sounds great but because of the size speakers im using for fronts once I switch to two channel there is an absence mids.

What makes you think you have good mid range in multi channel? If its lacking mid range in 2 channel, it will be lacking in MC as well. Its just that there are more speakers engaged when playing MC and the loss is less noticeable.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I get what you are saying but its just obvious that when all speakers are utilized the sound seems full. Ill look into some bookshelf's. Or I may just run a two channel setup completely separate from my HT set. That may be easier. Thanks for all the advice though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mrdems.....av123 has been around a few years. The founder of the company has been in the industry a long time, and among his credits are the Audio Alchemy products which were quite the rage back when. The av123 speakers have gotten a lot of good reviews, but being internet only they don't have the major distibution or advertising channels.

The Gizmo is the 1st product out of a new company, Tweak City Audio. av123 has a close relationship with TCA....hence the joint deal.

As for the Gizmo being sketchy......sure it isn't the greatest in the land. However, at $149 or so, it isn't supposed to compete with everything. However, it is what it is, a little two channel amp with a sub out designed to do that as well as possible for the price. Most reviews I have read of the Gizmo say it performs very well for the price. And there are quite a few positive reviews of the Gizmo with the ELT525s speakers. It's not going to get loud enough to disturb your neighbors, but will provide you nice sound in a small setup.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds great I will look into them. Thanks for the recommendation spark. Are you using anything of their equipment in your setup?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got speakers from av123, the Onix Reference 1, which were their high end bookshelves. And a ULW-10 sub. They've phased out their Onix line, as they have been working on new designs. Their speakers are well established and well liked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another option would be to look at the used market. I'm in a similar boat as I want to improve my 2 channel sound quality. I have Athenas, which I enjoy for multi-channel, but most of my listening is 2 channel. I don't have the money to invest in anything expensive right now or upgrade all 5 Athenas. So I went on craigslist and found an old pair of Ohm L's. Cost me a mere $40 and they're in pretty good shape, especially considering they're at least 25 years old. They sound fantastic to my ears, very different from the Athenas, more dynamic, less bright. I'm using my Yamaha AVR to drive them right now, but the Yammy doesn't have the power to A/B them with my Athenas, so I'm trolling for an inexpensive vintage 2 channel integrated. I ought to be able to get one for about $50.

So for less than $100 I'll have a nice 2 channel setup without disturbing my 5.1 system. Might be worth considering for you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I think that I may shop the pre owned bin or floor models I think im just going to go separate with the whole 2 chan set up and not bother with my 5.1. I would like to go for just a modest setup small amp some B&W speakers turn table and my sacd player.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
hmm, that's interesting. I'll have to visit their forum and see what has been said about the folding of the company.

I liked a couple of their ideas for new products but some of the stuff they were offering or contemplating for future production struck me as being unnecessary/redundant 100x over.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Mrdems...ignore my recommendation, Tweak City Audio just ceased operations today.

Man, even sketchier than I thought!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.