AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Sony 26" is finally giving-up-the-tube. I want to wait 2 years to get a good HDTV. I need recommendations on an "interim" 32"er to fill in the gap. Primary use is watching digital cable. Secondary is DVD. Third is VHS tapes, but who cares with their bad quality.

Is there something in the $500 +/- area that you folks can recommend (i.e., actually have seen and used).

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Check out AVS forum classifieds, or ebay. You want much yet you don't want to let go of the green. I have a 733 DVD collection average price $25 including shipping, $100 for every 4 discs.

Good luck on earning enough to finally go digital HDTV in the 2 years you want to wait.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hob,

Evidently English got mis-translated into English. :p

I'm NOT looking for the world right now. Big fancy set is several years away. I know Big Fancy will take green.

I asked what folks could recommend in the $500 +/- range right now for 32" tubes to hold me a few years. There are many available at retail, not thru classified ads. I wouldn't be scared if someone said here's a good fill-in but it may cost you $700 or so. I just wanted some recommendations before I walk in a showroom door.

I've seen posts from other people who intend to do the same thing. So, I'm still looking for specific models...

BTW, how do you store, catalog, and manage that many DVDs???? Do you have a good catalogging system and storage hardware???? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

PS: I have over 300 VHS tapes (not counting the erased and re-used ones). The first VHS tape I did was in 1982. Been taping quite a few years. The first Beta I watched was in 1973... Yes, I DO know how to drain my bank accounts.

Any specific fill-in 32" models to recommend?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Went through the same decision process recently. My 1988 vintage 30†NEC died awhile back. I wanted to buy a cheap 32-inch to replace my NEC TV.

To make a long story short, after buying 4 different 32-inch TVs and returning them all because of performance issues, I bought a nice 27†for under $300 and have been very happy with it.

Getting back to your original question, I spent from $375 to $625 for the sets I tried. Of the four, the best was a Sanyo purchased at Walmart for $390. It actually had a s-video input and component inputs. Just like the other sets, it had geometry problems that were beyond what I could live with.

I don’t think I will spend real money ($1500 or more) on direct view set until they come with a built in HD tuner and more widescreen models. I am thinking in about two years or so.

bH

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I paid $699 for my 32" RCA MM32110 at Good Guys. This was a floor demo though.

You can't beat it's features though: VGA, SVGA, 1080i, and a USB hub build-in.

Leszek

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BHorn and Leszek,

Thanks. I was thinking of something like JVC AV-32320 or AV-32D502. I'll start looking at that RCA also. I'll let my eyes do the looking too. I never rule out places like WallyWorld. What makes and models couldn't stand the stress (performance issues and what were they)?

Thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
159 Posts
facmanboss,

I tried GE, Panasonic, JVC and Sanyo. All had geometry problems including picture off center, straight lines which curved, rotated picture, etc. The GE was somewhat out of focus, the Panasonic’s ‘Panablack’ circuit was prone to shift the brightness of the screen from scene to scene, and the JVC had color flares around the edges. Size does matter and the bigger the tube the more you notice the flaws.

Now am not really an anal-retentive but to me there is nothing worse than watching a wide-screen picture that is not straight! When watching the Perfect Storm I had to stand by with a mop because it looked the ocean was going to drain out the side of the set! What was kind of weird is that some source material (off-air vs. VCR vs. DVD) would cause the sets to have more problems with graphics made of straight lines. On my old TV I could take off the back and adjust the geometry but the newer sets must rely on a service remote. It is too bad the manufactures will not put more service items on the remote.

Lugging the sets back and forth to the store got old fast. On the fifth attempt I told the salesman that I would only take another set if he would set it up in the store to see if it works before I take it home. He wouldn't do it.

Lots of people are quite happy and content with their low end 32-inch sets. I just could not live with the idea of spending about $600 for something I won’t be happy with. Spending $600 on something that I will pitch in two years.

I came to the conclusion that I was better off living with the $250 27-inch set and saving the extra $350 for use on the next ‘real’ TV I buy in a couple of years.

BH

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BHorn,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

e vey,

Would you mind clicking my profile button and sending me an email with that link? I built Heath Kits for decades and love service manuals.

Thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd love the link also, even if i am unsure my tv geometry (Sony KV-27S42) can be adjusted through the remote. If not, i guess a sevice call would be in order.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Try the standard Sony trinitron set (non-Wega). I have one that's 27" and it looks great. Very tweakable and an excellent picture. You should be able to find one for under $500.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Either go with a 27" flat screen Sony for about $500 or pay the extra $$ for the 32" around $900. Heck, with all the free money out there, take advantage (0% financing for 12-24 months). Otherwise, you can pick up a good JVC or something else, but you probably won't like the round screen, once you've gone flat, you won't go back!

Mark

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I bought a 32" Panasonic CT-32D11 SD 4:3 in June that I've been happy with. It cost $476 at a local store, including 15% discount for floor model, plus $40 delivery charge plus local tax. The newer CT-32D12 has PIP, but mine doesn't. It has S-video input, which I use for cable, and component input. It has a red push problem. I'm going to have to get the service manual for $16 dollars (not being able to find enough info on the web) to use the service menu. But there is a service menu, anyway. The red push can be minimized by turning the color control way down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.