AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after thinking about it for about a week, I decided to finally mock-up something to help guide my vision. The result? Well...

I realized I still had about 2 months left on a SketchUp Pro license from a Drafting class last year, so I took full advantage.

Note: I downloaded all of the furniture, AV equipment, and curtains from the 3D Warehouse. I had only hand-drawn the "wooden" structure.

To recap: The initial idea was to build a pergola (though it's more of a 4-post canopy as pergolas are usually far more ornate with their woodwork) to create a "home theater." The main purpose of this is to avoid needing to mount speakers on a wall or from the ceiling since we are renters and putting holes in the walls usually means $$$ out of our security deposit. Now, one might justify that running the risk of losing $100 from the deposit is worth not having to go through the trouble and added expense of building such a structure, but I'm not that practical :rolleyes:

It was modeled with nominal lumber measurements. The pergola measures 10'W x 10'L x 8'H. The pedestrian reference is 5'8."

(Sadly, the rear satellites intersected the curtains and I was quite fed up with the Move tool, so they stayed)

This is the view from behind the TV, facing the front with the back wall removed. You can see the placement of surrounds better:

No, I do not intend to leave the AV equipment on the floor. I just really wanted a Restoration Hardware table in there since I'll likely never own one in real life!

From the rear, a little closer with the TV removed:

Looking down on the pergola from above:

You'll notice two speakers - for Atmos of course - which inspired this whole rigmarole.

Design wise, this is pretty light. I'll be adding some 7" galvanized metal letters that spell out "C I N E M A" across the 2x8" that frames the top of the structure. They'll be modified with small LED's to appear to light up like marquee lettering. There's also a considerable amount of metal I want to add that didn't have the patience for in this render, like adding a 2" strip along the interior. Plus I plan to install some LED strip lighting along the 4 "squares" that make up the false ceiling, which is actually speaker grille cloth stretched over 2x2 lumber in 4 squares. This will hide the overheads and allow the LED's to illuminate subtly.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The pictures didn't copy over and I can't seem to edit my post, so here they, in their original sequence.

Oh, I can't post pictures.

I will return when I have the ability to do so. Mods, please close.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, after thinking about it for about a week, I decided to finally mock-up something to help guide my vision. The result? Well...

I realized I still had about 2 months left on a SketchUp Pro license from a Drafting class last year, so I took full advantage.

Note: I downloaded all of the furniture, AV equipment, and curtains from the 3D Warehouse. I had only hand-drawn the "wooden" structure.

To recap: The initial idea was to build a pergola (though it's more of a 4-post canopy as pergolas are usually far more ornate with their woodwork) to create a "home theater." The main purpose of this is to avoid needing to mount speakers on a wall or from the ceiling since we are renters and putting holes in the walls usually means $$$ out of our security deposit. Now, one might justify that running the risk of losing $100 from the deposit is worth not having to go through the trouble and added expense of building such a structure, but I'm not that practical :rolleyes:

It was modeled with nominal lumber measurements. The pergola measures 10'W x 10'L x 8'H. The pedestrian reference is 5'8."

(Sadly, the rear satellites intersected the curtains and I was quite fed up with the Move tool, so they stayed)

This is the view from behind the TV, facing the front with the back wall removed. You can see the placement of surrounds better:

No, I do not intend to leave the AV equipment on the floor. I just really wanted a Restoration Hardware table in there since I'll likely never own one in real life!

From the rear, a little closer with the TV removed:

Looking down on the pergola from above:

You'll notice two speakers - for Atmos of course - which inspired this whole rigmarole.

Design wise, this is pretty light. I'll be adding some 7" galvanized metal letters that spell out "C I N E M A" across the 2x8" that frames the top of the structure. They'll be modified with small LED's to appear to light up like marquee lettering. There's also a considerable amount of metal I want to add that didn't have the patience for in this render, like adding a 2" strip along the interior. Plus I plan to install some LED strip lighting along the 4 "squares" that make up the false ceiling, which is actually speaker grille cloth stretched over 2x2 lumber in 4 squares. This will hide the overheads and allow the LED's to illuminate subtly.
i know a dude that did something similar, it wasn't pretty but it worked well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts