AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ATI AIW9700 component out is set for 1776 * 1000i @ 30Hz 32bit color. I am assuming this is the best rez I will ever get. I don't think a Toshiba HDTV 50HDX supports 1080p. Even with the DVI. This is a tight rez (nice for 2D/3D & text) but certain colors flicker alot! Like its flashing on and off like a web ad.

I know I have never seen a program in 1080i from OTA flicker like this on this set. Is it the timings, drivers, ATI component adapter? Is this inevidable with interlaced rez's? I don't have PowerStrip. I'm not sure it would help.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Fasan,

Flicker is associated with refresh rate.

Your 30 Hz refresh rate is way on the low side.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Fasan, which colors flicker? I'm using the adapter and it produces a beautiful 1080 interlaced image on DVD playback. I'm using the CAT 3.2 drivers and a 9500pro.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't change the refresh rate with CAT 3.2 (2D drv. ver. 6.1401.6307 under Settings - Advanced - Monitor. It only gives be an option for 30Hz. Nothing else. I haven't made any custom monitor profiles or installed P.S.

Specifically, The Splash/About screen in Nero 5. The ring (red?) around the outside edge of the image of the cd flashes. Also, the xboxscene website. Their background (gray - anything outside the boundaries of the content of their webpage) flashes.

I have never noticed this effect playing any type of media/DVD. They seem excellent.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I think 30Hz may be right for true 1080i, since it's interlaced rather than progressive. Some flicker is going to be apparent in this mode. Just the nature of the beast. You might be able to reduce this somewhat by enabling anti-aliasing options in your computer Display Properties (such as Smooth Edges of Screen Fonts).

Progressive modes shouldn't flicker as much, but those probably won't deliver the discreet 1080 lines of [email protected]

On a slightly different subject.... Do you notice any dithering in your colors with this setup? Or do the colors generally look pretty smooth like they would on a 24-bit RGB display?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assumed that 30Hz was right ADU. The display options you mention don't seem to be present with the ATI AIW9700 Pro under WinXP. Mind you, I don't have a monitor hooked up and the main display settings are all regarding ATI's HDTV out.

Progressive modes don't seems to flicker at all. All the colors 'look' fine. I'm not sure what a dithered color would look like. I think I would have to set up a CRT beside my RPTV to see if the colors are missing on the RPTV. I actually did not purchase a PC monitor.

I have tried different color settings but this makes no difference.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Fasan. In Win98, Smooth Screen Fonts is under Display Properties/Effects, along with other options like Use Large Fonts, Animate Windows, etc. Perhaps there's an equivalent to this in WinXP somewhere with similar anti-aliasing/smoothing options. Sorry I can't be more help with this.

Dithering occurs when you drop down to lower color depths like 256 colors. Shading will look more speckled than smooth, because there are fewer colors in the palette to blend together. It may be harder to detect on a YUV (HDTV) display than on an RGB monitor.

This speckling may contribute to the flicker in interlaced modes. It may not be an issue for you though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Smooth screen fonts option is there and set to standard as default. XP has the option for clear type. This seems to try to enhance text. Almost like giving it a bold effect. It also gave all text a redish hue. I did try this but couldn't find an Anti-Aliasing option anywhere. And since screen fonts is standard, I think I dismissed this.

Now I remeber seeing dithered colors about 10-12 years ago when they where necessary. I have have two options. 16 bit & 32 bit. No dithering is present. Smooth transitions on both settings on say windows title bars for example. Also should be noticable in color setting/custom colors and is not.

Karnis

Just out of curiosity, what is your refresh rate? I assume you are not using the media out jack (tv out with breakoff connectors for spdif & component) but rather the VGA with a dongle. So the ATI card still treats the HDTV as a monitor with the appropriate drivers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a toshiba rptv and whenever I have an interlaced resolution on it, any lines that are bright, straight, and perfectly horizontal have a lot of flicker. This is just the nature of interlaced resolutions. Watch any type of graphics on regular broadcasts (such as banners on CNN) on an old nonHD set and you'll be able to see the same flickering. It's not as obvious, but it's there. I suspect that the clarity of HDTV sets make the flickering more noticable.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Quote:
I have have two options. 16 bit & 32 bit. No dithering is present. Smooth transitions on both settings on say windows title bars for example. Also should be noticable in color setting/custom colors and is not.
Sounds good. Thanks for looking at this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Unfortunately Flicker is just a fact of life with interlaced resolutions. My Samsung flickers in the desktop with 1080i input as well. I created a new color scheme for winXP that uses more neutral grey and neutral colors which helps a lot (and reduces risk of burn-in, in my mind). That's all you can do. Aside from that it's real purdy!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aside from that it's real purdy!

Ya I know. Oh well. Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You are witnessing the reason interlacing is undesireable. Content that is MEANT to be interlaced won't flicker... but your PC's desktop doesn't fall into that category unfortunately. If your display supports 720p that would be a better solution for your desktop.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You are witnessing the reason interlacing is undesireable. Content that is MEANT to be interlaced won't flicker... but your PC's desktop doesn't fall into that category unfortunately. If your display supports 720p that would be a better solution for your desktop.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ATI card does do a nice 720p. No flicker cuz its at 60Hz and progressive but my HDTV doesn't do this natively. Pixels are screwed up as it tries to interpolate a rez that it is used to upconverting to 1080i. I won't go down to 480p because the desktop is not workable. I will have to live with the rare occurance of flicker until I can get a 1080p display at over 50" for cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.