AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'll find this out, but I was wondering what others thought.

I have an HDTV set with one component input (an RCA F38310 -- the directv/OTA ATSC tuner is internal). I have have three component video sources so I use a JVC SX-J111 three-input component video switch to use my progressive DVD player, high defnition digital cable box, and interlaced region 2/pal-ntsc DVD player. I'm getting an X-box, so the plan is to replace the interlaced DVD player with the X-box, and use s-video from the player to the TV.

Will I really notice a difference when I make the switch?

Joe

·
Registered
726 Posts
I believe there is a difference. I think that it noticable and worthwhile in many cases. You should get at least slightly improved color bandwidth. I lived with s-video only on a 27" TV with component ins for a year and a half before upgrading, I can see the difference pretty clearly but I don't regret waiting to upgrade the player.

The difference should be more apparent on larger sets.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Obviously, these things are TV and DVD player dependant, but generally speaking, I've found it *very* difficult to tell the difference between component and S-Video on A GIVEN PLAYER. For example, the previous poster thought he saw an improvement but he had upgraded his DVD player; without knowing the details, he made have made a substantial upgrade. I was unable to tell the difference between the two on Sony 7000/7700 players, which were top quality at the time (and still is with a Cinematrix upgrade--but that's another story). The comparison was done on an HDTV (not just an "old" analog TV).

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I saw quite a difference on my moms 48" Sony when going from SVHS to component, my DVD player is a Philips 712

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stanton
I was unable to tell the difference between the two on Sony 7000/7700 players, which were top quality at the time (and still is with a Cinematrix upgrade--but that's another story). The comparison was done on an HDTV (not just an "old" analog TV).
The Sony DVP-S7000 can simultaneously output on component and s-video. I think that if you use the dual-screen feature on any 36" Sony xbr-400 or xbr-450 set, you will instantly see the difference. I was playing around with the Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back dvd on various players and tv's and noted that the colors are more neutral (and correct) to my eyes on component vs. s-video. The trouble with s-video is that while it may get the Y correct, it still has trouble with the C (chroma). Component video does not have this muxing problem with chroma, because the three signals it produces (Y-Pb-Pr) are sufficient to re-construct the rgb color without degradation.

Of course this is a moot point with progressive players, because there is no way in heck that s-video is capable of 480p, whereas component video is.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stanton
Obviously, these things are TV and DVD player dependant, but generally speaking, I've found it *very* difficult to tell the difference between component and S-Video on A GIVEN PLAYER. For example, the previous poster thought he saw an improvement but he had upgraded his DVD player; without knowing the details, he made have made a substantial upgrade.
You do have a point, I'm not certain I have tested both the S and Component connections on the same machine yet.

Chroma is half the resolution as luminence in MPEG-2 systems, so the difference might not be quite so noticable, _assuming_ correct s-vid encoding and decoding.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As I recall, S-vid is limited to 125 color lines of resolution (1/4 of luminence). This is about the same as DV camcorders and much better that VHS/SVHS or 8mm/Hi8.

If the NTSC engineers are right, however, your eyes will have difficulty resolving finer details in color as opposed to brightness.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
The difference between S-video and component quality can be significant. I referenced an article outlining the differences in my 8/30/01 post (second in thead). -- John

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

One of the things that struck me, is the increased visible image area running progressive component.

I gain 15 cm of extra image at the same screen width and height.

And of course, the supperior picture quality.

Anders

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
If anyone of you clicked on either of my movie pages, I did those through using S-Video with www.bettercables.com Silver Serpent S-Video cables.

O/T I don't know why you people didn't click on my homepage, I click on yours to see what you got going. Our moderator Larry Davis said the page looks really good. My last 4 pictures from a DVD source only had 6 views and *no* responses after 2 full days of being on the board. I took it off replaced with a quote from 1956 movie Forbidden Planet.

I still do movie pages, but I post them where the people say great page. I had a 15 great page thread on my last concert page of The Bee Gees: One Night Only 1997 DVD disc. I had pictures from 1978 movie Grease and 1975 movie Saturday Night Fever seen on the big screen on the concerts stage. MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, NV. huge stage area, where they usually broadcast fights.

All I can say it's your *loss*, I do very beautiful work, I am crippled I have the time to make great *clear* frame shots using 24p! For you who do not know the movie making term, there are 24 frames per second, 1,140 frames per minute. Multiply the movies running time e.g. 90 minute movie would give you a 102,600 frames to get the best clear capture for a great home page. I may not be able to walk, but I don't need to stand to do great work using 24p!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.