AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is something I should know by now...

Is it (generally) better to use a progressive scan or interlaced output to an external scaler?

I know that in part depends on the quality of each component... but in general, is one way preferred over the other?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Generally, most scalers will not actually accpet a progressive signal. In fact, I only know of the Vigatec and Transcanner that will. Generally it is not needed since the scaler is going to deinterlace the signal itself, so it is sort of redundant. The reason the the Vigatec does allow a progressive input is so that if your particular DVD player has a better deinterlacing chip, you don't have to bypass it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

According to the Extron DVS 406 manual, input 2 can be configured for "YUVp" --- is it reasonable to assume that this is the same basic concept that if the player's deinterlacer is better you can use it? Would this theoretically bypass the scaler's deinterlacer?

I guess where I'm really going is that I'm trying to decide on a DVD player, and I'm trying to determine how important it is to have the progressive scan output if I'm using an outboard scaler.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
The Extron 406 does accept a progressive on that input.

On the most part it is safest to use an interlaced output. However, there are some DVD players that de-interlace really well.

Most of the time you are watching film originated stuff. SO all you need is the 3:2 pulldown detection. the extra money for the Progressive output DVD may well be spent going for an SDI option.

I think you will see more benefit there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dizzman,

Thanks for that info as well... I was actually looking at the Denon 3300 but was concerned about the lack of progressive scan.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Havn't had a chance to demo the 3300 yet.

I do like the SDI option though, considering the DVS 406 has an input, so I think I'll probably go this way... after I see the players interlaced outputs and demo it's audio ;) --- But the audio specs are pretty good too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.