AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help determining what I can do to get the biggest bang-for-the-buck in my future theater. We purchased a home and created a room in the basement that is 19' long, 13' wide and 7-1/2' high. Because the home was built in 1977, there is a lot of important updating to do elsewhere in the house. Therefore, I don't have the money to build the theater I want for at least a few years. I have high-end Paradigm Reference and Anthem components, Sony projector and some other equipment. I am wondering what I can do to set my equipment up and start watching movies in this unfinished room. The question is: WHAT WOULD YOU SPEND $500 ON AND WHY?

Kent

P.S. My private email is upacreekk at earthlink dot net

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you just want it to look and sound good when the lights are off, I would probably focus on light control (the window/door) and sound treatments (absorption and diffusion). The latter you could easily use later when you finish your build, and you could DIY it to save a bit of money now, or use commercial treatments and add to it over time. You've already got some diffusion on your ceiling :)D), and attaching more treatments to the walls and ceiling should be easy. Once the lights go down...you won't know the room is not finished since it will sound so good. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you just want it to look and sound good when the lights are off, I would probably focus on light control (the window/door) and sound treatments (absorption and diffusion). The latter you could easily use later when you finish your build, and you could DIY it to save a bit of money now, or use commercial treatments and add to it over time. You've already got some diffusion on your ceiling :)D), and attaching more treatments to the walls and ceiling should be easy. Once the lights go down...you won't know the room is not finished since it will sound so good. ;)
billwill: "...you won't know the room is not finished since it will sound so good."

I don't care about the room being finished near as much as I care about it how it sounds. I am a sound guy :D

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,734 Posts
Clean up wires dangling about, wire for your speakers and projector, replace missing drywall and cover window. Paint the room something darker including the unfinished ceiling, leaving it exposed.

Find a carpet remnant. Pick up a roll of linacoustic for some DIY panels.

That's it for $500.

If you do a google image search on open basement ceiling painted black you can get some good examples of the cheapest way of dealing with that ceiling. You will need a sprayer. but it will make everything disappear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts