AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently upgraded a number of components in my Home Theater and my setup now includes:

Samsung LN52A850 LCD TV

Samsung BDP-1500 Blu-Ray player

HD Tivo

AppleTV

Sony STG-820 receiver

I have all components connected to Sony receiver with HDMI cables and a single HDMI cable running to the Samsung TV. I ordered cables from Monoprice, but have not received them yet, so I hooked everything up with inexpensive RCA HDMI cables I got at Lowes.

While watching the Tivo HD I intermittently get driop out of audio and video for a second or so about once an hour or so, on HD content.

While watching a Blu-Ray movie last night the video and audio dropped out twice. It was a rental from Blockbuster so it could be a scratched or dirty disk in this case.

Any thoughts on the cause here? I never had drop out with direct connection of the HD Tivo and a Sony XBR3 I have, and when directly connected to the Samsung for a couple of days I did not have this issue.

My thoughts are:

1) Cheap HDMI cables causing issues.

2. Sony STG-820 has issues.

Any help narrowing this down would be appreciated.

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,184 Posts
I recently upgraded to an Onkyo HDMI A/V Receiver and have noticed similar drop outs using HDMI. When I use my non-High Definition DVD Player to play CDs, it is particularly noticeable that the start of every track on CD is missing... about 2 seconds worth. I never experienced this when the player was connected via coax. Anyone experience this when using a DVD player to play CDs?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I did some troubleshooting over the weekend. I first switched out the RCA brand HDMI cables for new Monoprice (High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK) and still experienced the same issue.

I then bypassed the receiver using the same cable as above and no drop outs. SO either there is an HDMI issue between the receiver and the TivoHD or between the receiver and the Samsung TV. One suggetion I got from someone who had issues with drop out on his Samsung 650 was that the Samsung Tech suggested turning off the AnyNet+ on the Samsung 850 as it might be causing the issue, so I will try that next before giving up on teh Sony receiver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts