AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have an intermittent problem receiving HD channels via Comcast using a Motorola 5100, in the Philadelphia area.

The symptom is, either no picture whatsoever, with a "this channel available shortly" message, or sometimes severe pixilization, half the screen filled in, etc.

Sometimes a few of stations will be completely unavailable, and some will be somewhat visible, just with freezing, pixilization, etc.

These problems seem to come and go. My guess based on the variations between channels, and the overall intermittent nature is that it is some sort of a signal strength issue.

I remember somewhere on the forum, a method or menu to check the signal strength. I checked Miatasm's FAQ, and it doesn't seem to be there. I tried a couple of searches to no avail.

I called Comcast during an outage, they did some sort of remote test and said my signal strength was fine.

They are sending a tech on Friday. I suspect by then, the problem will be temporarily ok. It would be nice to give him some hints about the strength when the HD channels were out.

My worst fear is that I won't find the problem, and not have HD for my Super Bowl party next Sunday.

Any thoughts appreciated.

JT

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had one of the first DCT-5100's installed. Mine was replaced a couple of months ago due to constant tiling and audio dropouts despite adequate signal strength. The replacement box (6200) has worked much better.

There is a diagnostic menu in the 5100. I believe you can access it by powering off the box and then pressing setup immediately. Scroll down to inbound status (or something like that). It should give you a SNR reading and error counts.

If you have a cable modem, you might be able to get a downstream signal reading from that. On the Moto SB4100, it's http://192.168.100.1/signal.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.