AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I switch out my analong monster cables (red and whites) for digital optical cable going from my tv to the receiver. I had been getting PL (i think) which sounded good. I thought by switching to the optical out on my tv/receiver I would get better sound. Instead on some programming I am only getting the front left and right channels working. It was switching back and forth depending on the programming. I thought the digital optical would be the best bet. Is there something I am missing??? I have a Samsung 5271F running to a vsx92txh elite.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
You don't receive PLII, your receiver optionally applies it to incoming signals. With the optical cable, you will get DD 5.1 for many HD programs, and you can still apply PLII to the 2 channel signals you receive.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I think the problem is that a lot of material on TV is encoded as 5.1 but the mix has content that is mostly, if not all, in the front L&R. If it's 5.1 then you are forced to listen to the silence in the center and surrounds. But if it's a 2.0 signal then your PL II kicks in and depending on how you have your PL II set up, can steer a lot of info to the center and surrounds.

I sometimes switch to 2 channel PCM instead of the DD 5.1 for the very reason to get sound from my center and surrounds. Using PL II Music or PL IIx Music, you can fine tune the mix with 3 parameters that are made available.

Ed

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing I don't understand is with the analog cables I was getting sound from all my speakers, the center was always working (voices) now with the optical cable I am getting the voices coming from L and R only. Seems like with optical the output should definitely included the center no??? It was to the point that I switched the optical back out for the analog red and whites.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion /forum/post/12919131

The thing I don't understand is with the analog cables I was getting sound from all my speakers, the center was always working (voices) now with the optical cable I am getting the voices coming from L and R only. Seems like with optical the output should definitely included the center no??? It was to the point that I switched the optical back out for the analog red and whites.

You need to reread my earlier post - the answers are all there.

With the analog cables you were feeding the receiver stereo (ie 2 channel) only. Dolby PL II then filled in the center and surrounds. With a digital connection you often get a 5.1 signal. So the center will play whatever is put in the center channel. BUT the audio engineers creating the audio mix put NOTHING in the center channel. So you are listening to the silence that the audio engineers put there! If you don't like that, then send a 2 channel signal over the digital cable (by switiching the source from DD to PCM) and allow PL II to create the center and surround channels.

Ed

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/12924696

You need to reread my earlier post - the answers are all there.

With the analog cables you were feeding the receiver stereo (ie 2 channel) only. Dolby PL II then filled in the center and surrounds. With a digital connection you often get a 5.1 signal. So the center will play whatever is put in the center channel. BUT the audio engineers creating the audio mix put NOTHING in the center channel. So you are listening to the silence that the audio engineers put there! If you don't like that, then send a 2 channel signal over the digital cable (by switiching the source from DD to PCM) and allow PL II to create the center and surround channels.

Ed

Thanks for input, I didn't completely understand your first response when I read through it the first time. I almost like the analog set up better. I don't know how to select PCM from the ota tv to the receiver.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/12927947

In your display (if that is the tuner you are using) there should be an option for this in the audio setup.

There is no audio selection in the audio menu on my tv. You only have the ability to set intermal mute. I have a samsung 5271f.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
It has an optical out and no way to change settings on it?

That would be very unique, almost a flaw even. Digital outputs need to have settings applied to them to work correctly in different situations.

You say audio menu? This is going ot setup and choosing audio setup?

The basic audio menu often is just basic user controls.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/12928122

It has an optical out and no way to change settings on it?

That would be very unique, almost a flaw even. Digital outputs need to have settings applied to them to work correctly in different situations.

You say audio menu? This is going ot setup and choosing audio setup?

The basic audio menu often is just basic user controls.

Yeah I run through the menu and it list, picture, sound, inputs, set-up etc. Go into sound and there is no further tab I see where audio optical out can be tweeked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts