AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me to a few different options of internal DVD burner drives that also have high rez DVD-audio capability?

Also....are there any HTPC DVD burners out there that have an upconversion to 1080i/720p capability like some stand alone DVD players?

thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Any DVD burner can burn a DVD-Audio disc.

You just need the right software to author a valid DVD-Audio disc, such as Minnetonka Audio's discWelder, or Steinberg Wavelab.

There's also a free tool available on sourceforge which apparently can author a mono & stereo (but not multi channel) DVD-A up to 192Khz. It's available at http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

To your second question... I think (and I could be wrong here) you might be a little confused. On the PC, you can upscale a DVD with the right software. It's not functionality you will find in the DVD burner. If you wish to burn DVDs that are upconverted, this is not possible. The DVD specification sets the valid resolution to 720x480 for NTSC, or 720x576 for PAL. So, the upscaling must be done on your playback device.

Hope this helps.

Scott.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks. I'm new to all of this and I still think in the stand alone player mode as I'm sure you can understand.

As far as my DVD-audio question I was more worried about the DVD player/burner being able to read the DVD-audio discs that I currently own but I guess that's a software related issue as well. I have more homework to do.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I believe WinDVD will play back DVD-Audio tracks.

You're right, again it's a software issue.

However, I -think- that you'll only get the higher sampled audio through one of the newer Creative sound cards. Don't quote me on that yet, I haven't tried it myself.

The last alternative is to rip the DVD-A tracks to your computer and play them back in a less restrictive format. But, that's not something we're allowed to talk about.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just checked my Dell specs and this is my soundcard:

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 THX Certified Sound card with DVD Audio for Dimension Systems

So it looks like I'm good to go I think.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmessin
Well I just checked my Dell specs and this is my soundcard:

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 THX Certified Sound card with DVD Audio for Dimension Systems

So it looks like I'm good to go I think.
Do you have a DVD-Rom in the system currently? If so, download a trial of WinDVD and throw in one of your DVD-A discs. See how it goes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ive tried the Audigy 2 to decode a DVD-Audio disc, it works with windvd6, but the output can only be analog. If you use spdif the audigy can't send it to your amp. Ive tried the Xmystique and it can send 24/96 via spdif. Used a Denon amp, and it displayed 96khz PCM while I was playing a DVD-A disc. I didnt even use winDVD just used mediaportal and nvidia codecs. This was on a different machine as the one I tested with the audigy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.