AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting either Velodyne SPL-1500R or DD-15.

After reading the manuals it seems to me that:

1) I could use either sub as a high pass crossover at 80Hz so that my main speakers don't see the lower frequencies.

2) The DD series has a through put for daisy chaining a second sub, but the SPL only has high pass output so no daisy chain capability.

3) The DD is more expensive and has better sound and more options.

Can anyone verify whether conclusions 1 and 2 above are correct?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
you are correct for 1, 2 and 3. note though that when daisy chaining two DDs, the RS232 is used (I think), and daisy chaining a second NON-DD sub: 1) the daisy chained sub will not be EQ'd. 2) the second sub might actually muddy the performance of the DD.

if you need more detailed info or confirmation from Velodyne, find the Official Velodyne thread and ask Curt C over there.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&goto=lastpost

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help ribbit.

My understanding is that the RS232 is used to control the second DD with the remote control. I believe the sound signal is passed through the RCA cables (or alternatively possibly through balanced cables??).

Seems curious that the SPL can't be daisy chained, I'll post to the Velodyne thread to double check.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
you might be right about the RCA thing. hmmm. I need to know this as well. you planning on dual DD's?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Im sure this is totally obvious to you guys, but it wasn't to me when briefly considering the SPL series recently. Its not a true servo-controlled sub like the DD's are. Sorry to possibly state the stupidly obvious, but just in case ...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
yes josten, I used to think that as well. Curt cleared that up for me.

though from Curt's posts, I feel that he thinks the SPL's/SC's are a good value as compared to the DD's. it's too bad everyone considers the SPL's/SC's as the middle child of the brady bunch family ... oh I mean Velodyne family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.