AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a DVD writer/reader in my PC. I read that Teac and Sony are very good. Two questions:

1. I see an IOMEGA that reads and writes +/-RW, +/- R and CD-R, CD-RW. Is IOMEGA a quality drive?

2. Should one wait until blu-ray drives happen to get into this part of HTPC.

I have looked in the FAQs but a lot of what one sees for sale are newer than the FAQ info.

My present DVD-ROM seems to do a good job playing DVD's.

TIA

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
I'd get a Pioneer or Plextor. The Pioneer A06 and A07 are both +/-RW, +/- R and CD-R, CD-RW. I like my A06. Pioneer has been making DVD burners since the beginning (including industrial, mastering burners), and you'd be hard pressed to find a CD burner better than Plextor. Burners from either of these companies should be excelent.

I got my A06 at BB for ~$140 AR which is hard to beat.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stanger89:

Thanks for your suggestions. I have found the IOMEGA for almost 1/2 of your quote. Is it a worthy drive? Or would it not last?

I know some drives are cheaper (lite-on (sp?) and others) and probably are best to stay away from. I have no knowledge and little experience in this area.

Anyone else have advice?

TIA

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got an Iomega Super Drive, and it works well for me. It's certainly better built than that Liteon drive that came with my Dell. This particular drive handles all formats (plus and minus R, RW, and RAM). Iomega is the company that makes the famous Zip drive, so they're not totally new to the PC business.

It comes with the Sonic MyDVD suite, which allows you to create and edit movies. It won't rip a DVD though, and I'm still experimenting importing files from DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. So far, I've had better luck with the former than the latter. But then, I never give up easily...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
I'd get a Pioneer or Plextor. The Pioneer A06 and A07 are both +/-RW, +/- R and CD-R, CD-RW. I like my A06. Pioneer has been making DVD burners since the beginning (including industrial, mastering burners), and you'd be hard pressed to find a CD burner better than Plextor. Burners from either of these companies should be excelent.

I got my A06 at BB for ~$140 AR which is hard to beat.
i have this drive as well too. I picked up mine from Fry's for $117 AR. GREAT drive. I've backed up over 200+ dvd's with no problems at all. I had the Lite-On 411 initially and it was not built as solidly as the Pioneer. It also was not burning my Ritek G04 discs at 4x even with the latest firmware. The Pioneer burned at 4x without a hitch. Great drive indeed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.