AVS Forum banner

International version vs US version. No software updates/warranty?

393 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  moigpsrocks 
#1 ·
I tried to order an LG OLED TV online but was told by the store that it was the International version and there was no warranty or software updates. If I wanted software updates, I needed to get the USA version which was more expensive.

The part that I really don't understand is why the software updates would not work. People who live outside the US just need an internet connection. I wonder if this was just a hard sell or if this is true.

What do you think?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Who is the company that you're dealing with? Knowing who it is will help you get guidance here as this has been discussed here a lot.

What is the model number of the "International model"?

This is a common bait-and-switch scam perpetrated by a number of disreputable east coast online TV sellers. They advertise a TV at a too-good-to-be-true low price to lure you in, then when you try to buy it at that price they claim that it's a non-USA model and up-sell you on the more expensive "USA model".

Truth be told there is no "international version" of any TV - TVs are made to be country-specific and are only sold in the countries that they were designed for. With rare exceptions, you cannot buy a non-USA model in the USA. I'm virtually positive that LG does not distribute European or Asian market OLED TVs in the USA. It's also against the law for any TV manufacturer selling new TVs in the USA to not provide a warranty on it so what they're telling you is a scare tactic.

Maybe try to order the "International model" at the lower price and see if they accept the order.

You might want to call LG and ask them about all this too.

#3 ·
You are correct that they are an east coast company.
I asked about the " international model" and they said more particular that it was actually said it was an Canadian model.( They are very close to Canada by the way )

I also talked to LG and asked if I was moved to the USA from Canada, if my TV would have any issues and they said No.
They said that I should not get the cheaper model also because the " frequency" in Canada is different than the US.

I wonder if they mean " PAL vs NTSC" in which case, I am sure there must be a setting in the menu to change this settings.

They also said the tv software(firmware and applications I assume) could not update on the Canadian model however when I pressed them on this issue asking them to explain why exactly it would not update. They said it was because in Canada there are no Netflix or in the Canadian versions the netflix and streaming services are not included. I am not sure if this is true but I know you can probably by some kind of box that can get these streaming services for less then the several hundred of dollars price difference between these 2 TV's. .

I also went to a local physical store and they told me that LG would only honor the warranty if you purchased it from a physical store(like them) and anything purchase online would not be honored. However when I contacted LG, they said they only care that the receipt said that its " New inbox".

So I guess there are a lot of shady sales techniques in the TV business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.