AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For various reasons I switched from Dish to DirecTV last Tuesday. I received 2 Samsung SIR-70 receivers which I hooked up to a telephone line. Since then I have noticed that my Internet connection speeds have been down around 28000 when before it would normally be at least 44000 with my 2 Dish receivers hooked up to a phone line. I finally made the connection in my mind today and experimented plugging and unplugging the phone lines. With both unplugged I got 49,333 and 50,666. With the upstairs receiver plugged in I consistently got 45,333. When I plugged in the downstairs receiver to the phone line my speed was 28,000 or 29,333.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? There is no cable or DSL available where I live so this could be a long term nuisance to me. I have ordered a Zenith 520 receiver so perhaps that will work better for me.

I am also wondering if there is some sort of a phone line filter that could help this situation.

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
97 Posts
First, best guess is that the receivers are introducing noise into the phone line. Most likely in the form of a 60Hz hum. From your post it looks like the upstairs receiver has a small effect but the downstairs one is putting a big hit on the line.

Can you actually hear a difference in the phone with the receivers plugged in?

Do a search here and over at hometheaterforum.com on "ground loop". There are a number of different filters that can be applied to eliminate the hum. The only catch is that the vast majority of the time people are trying to eliminate satellite receiver hum in their audio system NOT on their phone lines.

It's possible that one of the wireless phone jacks might solve the problem too. So a google search on "wireless modem jack" for more info. If you decide to try one (or two) be sure to buy it from somebody like Home Depot or Radio Shack so returning isn't a major hassle if it doesn't help.

Also keep in mind that the receivers don't NEED to be connected to the phone lines. The only reason for it to be connected is to call home and report what PPV movies you've bought. No PPV... No phone line needed. Lots of folks here are using their receivers just fine without ever being plugged into the phone line.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I called DirecTV this morning, and they also said I didn't have to stay connected unless I wanted to order PPV. On the website they say you have to stay continually connected if you have more than one receiver, so I assumed that was a rule they enforced. They tech representative offered to send out different receivers and have someone come to the house to check it out, but I said it wasn't a problem if I don't have to stay connected.

I don't know if there is a difference between the 2 Samsung receivers or not. I was guessing that the upstairs receiver had less of an effect on my speed just because it was farther away from the computer, but I never switched them to check it out.

I did notice a hum in the phone line at one time, which was what initially made me start checking on the receivers. After unplugging the receivers the hum was gone, but I haven't done anything further to verify the relationship.

I should have the Zenith 520 in a few more days. There is at least a possibility that I would order PPV on that receiver for a HD show, but since this topic doesn't seem to have aroused much interest I doubt that I will have this problem with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Al-B

I am actually surprised that you have a HD reciever, but a dial-up modem for internet access!

Is DSL or cable modem service not available in your area?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.