AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an interesting experience with an online electronics equipment dealer.

I've been contemplating the purchase of a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver from the internet at a greatly reduced price. The web site selling the product garuntee's that none of their products are grey market items nor are they refurbuished.

In any event, Yamaha is running a special offer for the RX-V1 which would provide a free remote RAV-2000 if one purchases an RX-V1 from 10/01/2001 to 02/31/2001. However, they require the receipt to be from an authorized dealer.

I asked the guys at the internet site if they are an authorized dealer, they tell me they are an authorized reseller. I mentioned the rules of the offered by Yamaha, they tell me they could probably mention who they bought the item from and maybe this would work.

This prompted me to contact Yamaha to ask them the rules of their free remote offer. They are kind of disgruntled and tell me the offer wouldn't apply since there is no such thing as an authorized internet yamaha dealer. Furthermore, they informed me that if I needed my unit to be serviced that it wouldn't be serviced if I were to provide a receipt from a non-authorized dealer. They say the serial number must match and the dealer must be one of their authorized dealers. Furthermore it's not allowed for a dealer to sell Yamaha products to a reseller. He then goes to explain that 99% of internet sold Yamaha products are grey market items or B stock ect...

I found this to be shocking. No warrranty extended to the customer on items bought on the internet. This straight from Yamaha. Anyone else know of how this issue is played out for other manufacturers? Is this the standard possition?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just called the internet dealer back and confronted them with the issue. They tell me they can't disclose who sells the product to them, and furthermore that it isn't their fault the manufacturer won't honor their warranty. He then offered me an extened warranty they provide for $199.00.

Well, at the very least they were honest with me about their policy I suppose, but I can't help but feel fooled by their general claim of non grey market, non refurbished, fully warrantied product.

Has anyone ever tried getting their product serviced after it was bought from the internet?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Do a search. This has been discussed countless times. Most decent companies have this policy. Most of them now have dealer lists and big flashing warnings on their websites saying unauthorized sales will not be under warranty.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I personally work for an audio/video company, called YAWA Audio. ( www.yawaonline.com ) We are a local and on line store. We carry all of our A-stock goods for local customers and all of our refuribshed or B-Stock over the internet.

It is true Yamaha doesn't allow any mail order or internet company to carry their products. Only authorized dealers and have to be sold local too.

There are some manufactures allow dealers to sell their products on line but most of the time it should be sold locally.

Good Luck

Bill

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Well, that's not completely true. Yamaha sells authorized through Crutchfield and One Call online, probably others. Although I think they don't sell the RX-V line of receivers online, so the top end items are only available in B&M stores.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.