AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of ordering a Samsung 5067 via the internet. There are numerous highly rated resellers, but I have to say I am a concerned about ordering a large item like that. What would I do if it arrived broken, did not work quite right etc? Eat the shipping return costs? Get it fixed locally under warranty? etc....

Someone here must have some experience (Good or bad) with mail ordering TVs! please share...

Also, I have really nice 32" Sony tube TV..really nice....Anyone have any advice on what do to with these older good quality (185 lb) TVs?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
15,311 Posts
I personally would not buy a large-screen display over the net for all the reasons you mention. If you look through the threads on the forum, there are an awful lot of HDTVs being returned. If you do, make sure the dealer is an authorized dealer, or the manufacturer may not honor the warranty.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I would. And I did. I'd say there are only a handful of etailers I would purchase from over the net though. Try not to get lured by bargain deals or the price comparison sites-most of the low price offerings are from absolutely horrid businesses.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Williamson
I am thinking of ordering a Samsung 5067 via the internet. There are numerous highly rated resellers, but I have to say I am a concerned about ordering a large item like that. What would I do if it arrived broken, did not work quite right etc? Eat the shipping return costs? Get it fixed locally under warranty? etc....

Someone here must have some experience (Good or bad) with mail ordering TVs! please share...

Also, I have really nice 32" Sony tube TV..really nice....Anyone have any advice on what do to with these older good quality (185 lb) TVs?

Thanks,

Bob
THis is how I did it. I looked on the internet and found the cheapest price I could find and luckily the cheapest I found was also locally so I could pick it up. I then went in to VIDEO ONLY and told them this is the tv I want and this is the price I will pay and then the guy asked his manager and said ok. You have to be stern when you go in. Prices that are listed in local stores can come down dramatically if you tell them. I never pay listed price on anything other than groceries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Williamson

Thanks,

Bob
I think this is one where you're going to have to just go with what makes you comfortable. Some comparisons and variables are going to be very specific to your circumstance

But another anecdote - I very recently bought online (57" CRT RP) and the experience has been great so far...way above my expectations. I bought from a company that I was not worried about. I got a deal that was 25% less than the local pricing I had found and one that had free shipping if willing to wait an additional 5 to 7 days over normal. It ended up shipping right away and arrived more than a week earlier than the initial estimate. I was expecting curbside delivery and it was in-home with unpacking and removal of the container. The people with the delivery company were truly polite and helpful.

So long as Toshiba honors the warranty in the event of a problem, I'm all set. The unit was supposed to have been coming directly from them, so I don't see an obvious problem there.

The way I'm choosing to look at it, I can spend about $450-500 dealing with an issue that might come up before I get to even with what I could have otherwise paid in just the purchase transaction (price diff, tax, delivery). I didn't price them, but I guess a store service contract would have been in the $250-300 range or so...I also weighed that.

I couldn't balance that all and come out in favor of spending $700-800 (65%!) more than I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.