AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot get my Internet sharing of shows to work properly and have tried most everything. I can add others to my address book, but no one can add either of my boxes. I cannot even add one of my Replays to the address book from the other Replay within my own house. The error I get is that the remote box cannot be contacted. However, I can share shows between the two boxes within my house.

My configuration is MSN DSL to Cisco 678 Bridge/Router to D-Link 713P Wireless Router to my two ReplayTV 4040 units using hardwired ethernet. I don't have a dedicated IP address from MSN on my DSL, but do use dedicated IP addresses between both the Cisco and D-Link (10.0.0.2) and the D-Link and ReplayTV 4040 (192.168.0.50 and 192.168.0.51). One of the Replay box uses port 40000 and the other uses 40100.

As far as I can tell MSN and the Cisco 678 do not block either of these ports. I do not have port blocking activated on the D-link either. I have also tried various ports and cant get others working.

I have configured my D-Link router to forward port 40000 to my first unit (192.168.0.50) and forward port 40100 to my second unit (192.168.0.51). I have tried putting one unit outside the DMZ, but that doesn't help either.

I have called ReplayTV tech support a few times and they couldn't help. They suggested and I even performed a 777-zones reset and still have the problem.

I suspect the D-link 713P is causing the problems, but it could be the Cisco 678 or even MSN. Have any others got similar hardware working with Internet sharing??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Reeler
I cannot get my Internet sharing of shows to work properly and have tried most everything. I can add others to my address book, but no one can add either of my boxes. I cannot even add one of my Replays to the address book from the other Replay within my own house. The error I get is that the remote box cannot be contacted. However, I can share shows between the two boxes within my house.

[...]

The first thing I would check is to telnet to your current EXTERNAL IP address on port 40000 from a machine outside your network, if possible. See if you can get a connect or not. If not, then your port forwarding is probably not set up correctly. If it does connect, then there is a problem with the RRDNS registration of your ISN (Internet Serial Number).

You can use the rrdns client in replaypc to lookup your ISN to see what ip address and port the ReplayTV servers are giving out.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Additionally, if you get quick "connection refused" errors, then the packets are getting to a machine but not the right one, or not the right port. If you get slow "connection timed out" errors, then the packets are getting dropped somewhere by a router or a firewall. As a rule of thumb, at least.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
The first thing I would check is to telnet to your current EXTERNAL IP address on port 40000 from a machine outside your network, if possible. See if you can get a connect or not. If not, then your port forwarding is probably not set up correctly.
I think I telnetted properly to the unit from outside my intranet by using a cellular modem. I found the dynamically assigned IP and did a "o 65.100.191.171 40000" and got this response "Connecting To 65.100.191.171...Could not open connection to the host, on port 40000. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond."

I'm not an expert on telnet, but I guess that port forwarding is not working right on my Dlink 713p. I have the latest BIOS in the router and have set up the Virtual Server page to forward those ports to the appropriate IP addresses for my boxes. Unlike the Linksys routers, there is no box to select TCP and UDP. I presume Dlink does both.

Does anyone have a Dlink router working with a Replay 4K?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well as it turned out, the problem was that the Cisco 678 is a router with NAT. I turned on port forwarding and it works fine now. For those interested here are the commands:

set nat entry add 10.0.0.4 40000 65.100.191.171 40000 tcp

set nat entry add 10.0.0.4 40000 65.100.191.171 40000 udp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.